Microsoft to lay off 10,000 employees across company (including Xbox, Bethesda)

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 18, 2023, 04:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

Hopefully Sony and Nintendo are free from layoffs

kitler53

but i though gamepass was profitable?!?!

8)

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

but in all seriousness....

....this tweet kind of speaks for itself.

== edit ===
would help if i linked the correct tweet....

Legend

That's a lot of people. Not good optics with the timing either.

the-pi-guy

nnodley

kinda sad they just bought bethesda and already laying off within them

Legend

That's not good. 343 needs a shakeup but they don't need lower level people fired. Also why did no other MS gaming studios get affected?

kitler53

kitler53

if the campaign team was hit hard it sounds to me like halo infinite is effectively on "maintenance mode" already.

Legend

if the campaign team was hit hard it sounds to me like halo infinite is effectively on "maintenance mode" already.
Good thing Infinite didn't end on a cliffhanger! /s

The campaign really sucked at times but it teased a lot of potential. I really hoped for once 343i would be able to just make a sequel/expansion instead of another reboot.

No clue what they'll do with multiplayer. It finally got its big update and is as popular as The Master Chief Collection on Steam.

kitler53

Good thing Infinite didn't end on a cliffhanger! /s

The campaign really sucked at times but it teased a lot of potential. I really hoped for once 343i would be able to just make a sequel/expansion instead of another reboot.

No clue what they'll do with multiplayer. It finally got its big update and is as popular as The Master Chief Collection on Steam.
i mean, if people are still playing it they'll keep putting out a season pass from time to time.   i'm sure the RoI is okay when it's just a guy putting like 50 hours of effort into making a few guns a slightly different color....   i'm being a bit of a sucker here but that's effectively what season passes are for any GaaS featuring a battle pass.

they'll make sure the servers are still running.  make a new map or two.  maybe a new mode even.  however, i just don't expect any big investments if the campaign team was killed.  they'll just keep the lights on and the existing fanbase from becoming angry.

nnodley

So sounds kinda like halo may not have single player much longer or at all. Not like their campaigns have been noteworthy anyway the last couple games

the-pi-guy

That's not good. 343 needs a shakeup but they don't need lower level people fired. Also why did no other MS gaming studios get affected?
Supposedly 343 had 750 employees. I do wonder if that number might be the result of a typo of 450 which was the 2016 number. But people seem pretty adamant they had 750 in 2021 including Jschrier.

Which feels like a lot for a studio that seems to do quite a bit of outsourcing with partners.

But MS's largest studios I think are basically 343, Mojang, Bethesda Game Studios, and I would have to imagine Zenimax online is huge too. The last number was 250 and that is 11 years old.

Mojang and Zenimax Online must be doing okay.

the-pi-guy

Layoffs at The Coalition as well.