Anyone else a fan of "realistic" aliens?

Started by Legend, Dec 29, 2022, 08:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Avatar is by far the most famous, but I love so many speculative evolution/biology worlds. 99% of the sci fi out there just uses randomized changes to look strange. Instead these "realistic" aliens have so much thought and constancy put into even the smallest details.

Legend

the-pi-guy

Sorry was meaning to come back to this.  

Based on OP, "realistic" aliens are aliens that are biologically justified, as opposed to being random adjustments?  

I guess my take is that it's nice when they put in that work. And it's nice for me, if I am interested in that world.
If I'm not interested in the world or the alien design, I don't really think too much about whether or not it's realistic.

But I don't feel like I have gotten very interested in any alien worlds like that.

In short, it's something I would appreciate if there was something more that appealed to me.

Legend

Sorry was meaning to come back to this.  

Based on OP, "realistic" aliens are aliens that are biologically justified, as opposed to being random adjustments?  

I guess my take is that it's nice when they put in that work. And it's nice for me, if I am interested in that world.
If I'm not interested in the world or the alien design, I don't really think too much about whether or not it's realistic.

But I don't feel like I have gotten very interested in any alien worlds like that.

In short, it's something I would appreciate if there was something more that appealed to me.
For me at least it's more about being biologically limited, not biologically justified. For example I'm sure fans have post hoc justified everything about Jabba the hutt biology, but he's still just a random alien design with no rhyme or reason.

Realistic aliens on the other hand tend to feel cohesive yet are fully unrecognizable. Like every time you stare at the tripod picture you'll notice some new small detail. The feet for example are these weird flat things yet somehow they make sense.

kitler53

the aliens in the OP don't feel any more realistic than jabba the hut to me. 

maybe the design is more stylish than random but the feature do not resonate with biologically justified in any way.  they are just put in there because some guy thought they looked cool in an alien way and then wrote some words to try and justify that malarkey. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

the aliens in the OP don't feel any more realistic than jabba the hut to me.

maybe the design is more stylish than random but the feature do not resonate with biologically justified in any way.  they are just put in there because some guy thought they looked cool in an alien way and then wrote some words to try and justify that malarkey.
Jabba The Hutt Laugh GIFs | Tenor

Here's a 7 hour YouTube playlist showing how much work can go into designing aliens like this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6xPxnYMQpquNuaEffJzjGjMsr6VktCYl

kitler53

not watching a 4 hour video. 

I could not care how much time spent.  it takes thousands of man hours to come up with things like the world of Harry Potter but that doesn't make it realistic. 

the bottom alien has tentacles for legs.  not going to happen no matter what fan fiction the guy wrote.  at that weight the creature can't stand without a support structure,.. or bones.  it's a rather simple statics equation to prove it to be non-viable. 

the creature behind it is flying but fails the basics of aerodynamics. those "wings" are appropriate for a sea creature not a bird-like creature. 

and 4 retractable eyes and tripod legs a digging nose but than carnivore teeth.  c'mon.  it like they're not even trying to come up with environmentally justified designs.  

pure malarkey. 

the-pi-guy

I could not care how much time spent.  it takes thousands of man hours to come up with things like the world of Harry Potter but that doesn't make it realistic.
Writing the story sure, doesn't take that much time to come up with the idea.

the bottom alien has tentacles for legs.  not going to happen no matter what fan fiction the guy wrote.  at that weight the creature can't stand without a support structure,.. or bones.  it's a rather simple statics equation to prove it to be non-viable.
I didn't realize you had x-ray vision that works on photographs. /s

On the other hand, isn't it possible you would think giraffes were impossible too?
the creature behind it is flying but fails the basics of aerodynamics. those "wings" are appropriate for a sea creature not a bird-like creature.
Or perhaps an ecosystem with a very dense form of air.

and 4 retractable eyes and tripod legs a digging nose but than carnivore teeth.  c'mon.  it like they're not even trying to come up with environmentally justified designs.  
I think it's interesting that ideas about dinosaurs have changed over time.

Like the T-rex has been argued to be either a scavenger based on their snout (for sniffing out dead carcasses) and short arms, or mostly a predator based on whether or not the teeth really are strong enough to crush bone for scavenging or not.  

Legend

not watching a 4 hour video.

I could not care how much time spent.  it takes thousands of man hours to come up with things like the world of Harry Potter but that doesn't make it realistic.

the bottom alien has tentacles for legs.  not going to happen no matter what fan fiction the guy wrote.  at that weight the creature can't stand without a support structure,.. or bones.  it's a rather simple statics equation to prove it to be non-viable.

and 4 retractable eyes and tripod legs a digging nose but than carnivore teeth.  c'mon.  it like they're not even trying to come up with environmentally justified designs.  

pure malarkey.
Just linked the playlist as a quick refute to these aliens being designed first and justified later. Thought it was obvious I didn't expect you to watch over 7 hours of videos lol.

The legs use hydraulic pressure and are not tentacles. The planet has less gravity and thicker air, hence the small wings. First creature doesn't look like a digging nose.

It's cool though that you can even critique these designs this way. Meanwhile Jaba is just a fat slug human.

kitler53

Just linked the playlist as a quick refute to these aliens being designed first and justified later. Thought it was obvious I didn't expect you to watch over 7 hours of videos lol.

The legs use hydraulic pressure and are not tentacles. The planet has less gravity and thicker air, hence the small wings. First creature doesn't look like a digging nose.

It's cool though that you can even critique these designs this way. Meanwhile Jaba is just a fat slug human.
which is already a contradiction in itself unless you want me to not believe in science.

dense atmosphere means the gases in the atmosphere are near the triple point which requires high pressures and temperatures. you're not getting that on a low gravity planet. 

...and even then the atmosphere would have a smog like consistency that would block out the sun. 

no matter how much thought going into this it's an "art" first approach which is how I'd describe jabba too.   yes jabba is just a ridiculous slug with a face but it was an artist not a scientist that designed him.

oh, an hydraulics doesn't really solve the problem. without a rigid structure to act upon those legs are't functioning any more than a lollipop. 

the-pi-guy

dense atmosphere means the gases in the atmosphere are near the triple point which requires high pressures and temperatures. you're not getting that on a low gravity planet.  
Dense atmosphere, a fraction of Earth's size.

...and even then the atmosphere would have a smog like consistency that would block out the sun.  
This is dependent on what wavelength you're looking at.
Our atmosphere is pretty opaque.  

Image from wikipedia

Titan's atmosphere is relatively transparent, under certain wavelengths. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0032063317302179
Titan's atmosphere is optically thick and hides the surface and the lower layers from the view at almost all wavelengths. However, because gaseous absorptions are spectrally selective, some narrow spectral intervals are relatively transparent and allow to probe the surface.
oh, an hydraulics doesn't really solve the problem. without a rigid structure to act upon those legs are't functioning any more than a lollipop.  
Based on that description, the legs basically work the way that spider legs work.

Arachnid Locomotion

Spiders' Legs are Hydraulic Masterpieces.

Not sure what the physical limit of how big a spider leg can be, but then again, we don't really have a scale in the picture. So they could be the size of regular spiders.  

the-pi-guy

Ah look at that, maybe I'm getting into this "realistic" alien business after all.  

Legend

which is already a contradiction in itself unless you want me to not believe in science.

no matter how much thought going into this it's an "art" first approach which is how I'd describe jabba too.   yes jabba is just a ridiculous slug with a face but it was an artist not a scientist that designed him.

What are you trying to say about the triple point? It needs low pressures and temperatures, and is absolutely irrelevant for atmospheres.

Smog/visibility depends on many different factors and atmospheric pressure isn't really one of them.

Mars has just 1% the atmospheric pressure of Earth yet regularly has practically zero visibility.

Meanwhile Venus has OVER 9,000% the atmospheric pressure of Earth and often has great visibility.

It's definitely artistic but that doesn't invalidate the work. No different than Tolkien designing his languages imo.
Ah look at that, maybe I'm getting into this "realistic" alien business after all. 
There's dozens of us!

kitler53

Jan 02, 2023, 01:43 AM Last Edit: Jan 02, 2023, 01:53 AM by kitler53
What are you trying to say about the triple point? It needs low pressures and temperatures, and is absolutely irrelevant for atmospheres.

Smog/visibility depends on many different factors and atmospheric pressure isn't really one of them.

Mars has just 1% the atmospheric pressure of Earth yet regularly has practically zero visibility.

Meanwhile Venus has OVER 9,000% the atmospheric pressure of Earth and often has great visibility.

It's definitely artistic but that doesn't invalidate the work. No different than Tolkien designing his languages imo.There's dozens of us!
it's not strictly about visibility.   legend is saying that highly non aerodynamic "flying" creature is "realistic" because it is in an atmosphere dence enough to act more like a liquid than a vapor. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

I'm a chemical engineer so I've spend waay too much time studying this shame but the triple point of matter is the place where the matter is simultaneously a solid/liquid/vapor.

be well below that and you'll get what you see on earth,.  liquid and vapor highly separated and the vapor well approximated by ideal gas law.  to get into the dense vapor regions you need to be above the triple point at which vapor and liquid similar in properties.

spiders have exoskeletons for the hydraulics to act upon.  it's not bone but it's rigid which is my point.  without neutral buoyancy all movement is basically limited to pushing/pulling on something rigid.

spider/bugs are very limited to the sizes you see on earth.  any bigger and gravity would squish them.  it's a materials problem,.  larger sizes could be reached if more rigid materials were possible. 

Legend

it's not strictly about visibility.   legend is saying that highly non aerodynamic "flying" creature is "realistic" because it is in an atmosphere dence enough to act more like a liquid than a vapor.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_point

I'm a chemical engineer so I've spend waay too much time studying this shame but the triple point of matter is the place where the matter is simultaneously a solid/liquid/vapor.

be well below that and you'll get what you see on earth,.  liquid and vapor highly separated and the vapor well approximated by ideal gas law.  to get into the dense vapor regions you need to be above the triple point at which vapor and liquid similar in properties.

I'm legend lol, and no I never said it was in an atmosphere dense enough to be near liquid. I guess that's what you were focused on, but it's just something like Titan. Just lets the wings be half the size while still producing the same amount of lift.

A planet with an atmosphere near the critical point would be pretty weird though.

spiders have exoskeletons for the hydraulics to act upon.  it's not bone but it's rigid which is my point.  without neutral buoyancy all movement is basically limited to pushing/pulling on something rigid.

spider/bugs are very limited to the sizes you see on earth.  any bigger and gravity would squish them.  it's a materials problem,.  larger sizes could be reached if more rigid materials were possible.  
Spiders and bugs are limited in size because they don't have lungs.