Apple to allow third party stores in EU

Started by the-pi-guy, Dec 13, 2022, 07:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Bloomberg

The moves -- a reversal of long-held policies -- are a response to EU laws aimed at leveling the playing field for third-party developers and improving the digital lives of consumers. For years, regulators and software makers have complained that Apple and Google, which run the two biggest mobile app stores, wield too much power as gatekeepers.

If similar laws are passed in additional countries, Apple's project could lay the groundwork for other regions, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the work is private. But the company's changes are designed initially to just go into effect in Europe.

kitler53

oh boy.  are consoles next?

i read on era yesterday that spencer was saying that consoles will eventually move away from the loss-lead strategy to an open model.   not sure how i feel about that.  more expensive hardware that is much more likely to have software compatibilities issues?   yay?!

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

oh boy.  are consoles next?

i read on era yesterday that spencer was saying that consoles will eventually move away from the loss-lead strategy to an open model.   not sure how i feel about that.  more expensive hardware that is much more likely to have software compatibilities issues?   yay?!
I think Microsoft wants/expects that. Gamepass is a new walled garden they can keep control of.