Twitter now owned by Elon Musk

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

SWORDF1SH

An interesting thread about what's going on behind the scenes.

kitler53

lulz

Kotaku: PS3 Hacker Hired To Fix Twitter By Elon Musk Just Quit, Yikes.
https://kotaku.com/elon-musk-twitter-george-hotz-ps3-hacker-intern-quit-1849923347

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

SWORDF1SH

Dec 24, 2022, 04:46 PM Last Edit: Dec 24, 2022, 04:55 PM by SWORDF1SH
lulz

Kotaku: PS3 Hacker Hired To Fix Twitter By Elon Musk Just Quit, Yikes.
https://kotaku.com/elon-musk-twitter-george-hotz-ps3-hacker-intern-quit-1849923347
He signed up for 12 weeks but sounds like he couldn't get on with the other programmers. He still fully supports Twitter 2.0 though so it wasn't for reasons beyond that I don't think

SWORDF1SH

A short thread that explains what went on. Sounds like Twitter needs new senior engineers

kitler53

You can read somewhere above where i wrote geohotz is not the kind of employee that can work with others.  

Start-up mentality is fine when your an actual start up.  When you have millions of existing consumers you can't do shame without extensive impact testing and that requires working well with others.   

Ive seen this same shame play out at my work.  Some young gun thing he knows everything.  Everything that is except the 100,000 lines of code that gets executed before/after your code that comes crashes when you change something because "its wrong".  The "wrong" is called technical debt and there is always a reason it was written like that in the first place.  If it was sooo easy to do it "right" it would have been done right in the first place.   

Technical debt is always written because some shaming leader wants something done fast instead of done right.  

SWORDF1SH

You can read somewhere above where i wrote geohotz is not the kind of employee that can work with others.  

Start-up mentality is fine when your an actual start up.  When you have millions of existing consumers you can't do shame without extensive impact testing and that requires working well with others.  

Ive seen this same shame play out at my work.  Some young gun thing he knows everything.  Everything that is except the 100,000 lines of code that gets executed before/after your code that comes crashes when you change something because "its wrong".  The "wrong" is called technical debt and there is always a reason it was written like that in the first place.  If it was sooo easy to do it "right" it would have been done right in the first place.  

Technical debt is always written because some shaming leader wants something done fast instead of done right.  

Yeah, you were bang on right

the-pi-guy

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

1.) It's just a joke/it's trolling is probably the single most common excuse for any kind of terrible behavior. I've seen it an absolutely absurd number of times. I've seen so many absolutely indefensible posts, "defended" on the basis that it was a joke.  Some things are not defensible.

2.) There is a rather concerning number of Russian/Putin allies that seem to be in Elon's circle (either photographed sitting with him at the games or public discussions on Twitter).  

If I saw someone responding to a Nazi's post, with "epic!", I would not care if they were genuinely joking. It would at minimum be concerning that they were so careless.

One of the world's most powerful people is humoring supporters of a dictator who has repeatedly threatened to end all life on Earth.

I really don't give half a crud if they were joking.

SWORDF1SH

1.) It's just a joke/it's trolling is probably the single most common excuse for any kind of terrible behavior. I've seen it an absolutely absurd number of times. I've seen so many absolutely indefensible posts, "defended" on the basis that it was a joke.  Some things are not defensible.

2.) There is a rather concerning number of Russian/Putin allies that seem to be in Elon's circle (either photographed sitting with him at the games or public discussions on Twitter).  

If I saw someone responding to a Nazi's post, with "epic!", I would not care if they were genuinely joking. It would at minimum be concerning that they were so careless.

One of the world's most powerful people is humoring supporters of a dictator who has repeatedly threatened to end all life on Earth.

I really don't give half a crud if they were joking.
What an overreaction.

kitler53

is this still the thread to make fun of enron musk?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/23/business/tesla-trial-funding-secured-elon-musk/index.html

Under questioning, Musk denied that he picked the $420 price as a joke given its meaning to marijuana enthusiasts, but rather as a roughly 20% premium on the stock price at the time.

"420 price was not a joke," he testified. At another point, he said: "There is some karma around 420 although I should question if that is good or bad karma at this point."
...apparently he doesn't know lying under oath can send you to jail.

kitler53

Legend

SWORDF1SH

Not got a clue about this API business but does this make things better?

kitler53

Not got a clue about this API business but does this make things better?

i think i'd state it makes things different.   very different.

i mean he states his goal is to stifle bots that are trying to influence public opinion.   to that end i agree with musk.   when the API is free you can spin up thousands of bots for free.  no one in their right mind is going to spin up a thousand bots at a cost of $100,000 to try and get a tweet to trend.   ...well, very few.  you'd have to have serious money to do this so i guess you'd have to have serious mal-intent.

but like that pepitoTheCat post,.. there will be just as many non malicious accounts that won't be able to pay this either.   

this could really crater the popularity of twitter imo.   i dunno.  i think its huge if musk makes this change.   for the better or worse?  i think we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Go Up