Twitter now owned by Elon Musk

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

I doubt that's the issue. Why would a background check matter? Plus with Musk being so famous, I doubt a background check could find anything that journalists haven't already found.
It is odd.
But it sounded like it was only contingent on the background check and an acceptance.

"We announced on Tuesday that Elon would be appointed to the board contingent on a background check and formal acceptance. Elon's appointment to the board became officially effective 4/9, but Elon shared that same morning that he will no longer be joining the board. I believe this is for the best. We have and will always value input from our shareholders, whether they are on our board or not. Elon is our biggest shareholder and we will remain open to his input," the statement also said.
Elon Musk abruptly reverses plan to join Twitter board amid "background check"  | Salon.com

Legend

This has a small bit of his actual conversation with twitter.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/0001418091/000110465922045641/tm2212748d1_sc13da.htm

[SEND VIA TEXT]
As I indicated this weekend, I believe that the company should be private to go through the changes that need to be made.

After the past several days of thinking this over, I have decided I want to acquire the company and take it private.

I am going to send you an offer letter tonight, it will be public in the morning.

Are you available to chat?

[VOICE SCRIPT]
1. Best and Final:
a. I am not playing the back-and-forth game.
b. I have moved straight to the end.
c. It's a high price and your shareholders will love it.
d. If the deal doesn't work, given that I don't have confidence in management nor do I believe I can drive the necessary change in the public market, I would need to reconsider my position as a shareholder.
i. This is not a threat, it's simply not a good investment without the changes that need to be made.
ii. And those changes won't happen without taking the company private.

2. My advisors and my team are available after you get the letter to answer any questions
a. There will be more detail in our public filings. After you receive the letter and review the public filings, your team can call my family office with any questions.
It is odd.
But it sounded like it was only contingent on the background check and an acceptance.

Elon Musk abruptly reverses plan to join Twitter board amid "background check"  | Salon.com
I'd assume it was Musk turning it down after talking with the rest of the board.

elon is shady as hell.  i'm sure he's done some bad stuff alone the way.  especially financial crimes.  hell, his whole take over bid seems like a clear pump and dump to me.
It's all pretty well known once he came to Canada. Plus shareholders sue when they're worried something is shady, such as tesla buying solar city.

SWORDF1SH

I heard that he could only aquire a certain amount of stake if he became a member of the board. Idk. Either way, he's made it clear that free speech should be allowed on twitter. I'm going he makes changes. Freedom of speech is very important even if we don't like opposing views. Twitter and Facebook are taking that away.

Legend

Elon Musk says that Twitter's algorithm should be open source | Engadget

Open sourcing algorithms would be amazing. I don't know much about twitter specifics, but on youtube the algorithms literally create videos and genres (like the creepy elsa and other kid characters being pregnant ones). Having things open source doesn't directly solve problems but it can help get more minds thinking about solutions.

kitler53

Elon Musk says that Twitter's algorithm should be open source | Engadget

Open sourcing algorithms would be amazing. I don't know much about twitter specifics, but on youtube the algorithms literally create videos and genres (like the creepy elsa and other kid characters being pregnant ones). Having things open source doesn't directly solve problems but it can help get more minds thinking about solutions.
or exploits.  lets face it,.. those seeking to exploit the algorithms for political gain stand to gain the most.  one more step towards the end of demacracy imo. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

or exploits.  lets face it,.. those seeking to exploit the algorithms for political gain stand to gain the most.  one more step towards the end of demacracy imo.
It's not dissimilar to protecting against security vulnerabilities in open vs closed software. Exploits will happen either way, and it's wrong to claim open software is inherently less secure.

Legend

Dr. Pezus

Legend

Wow. This could change a lot of things.
Could speed up twitter's death lol.

Musk has a perfect track record with building businesses but I could see it going either way.

the-pi-guy

Legend

You're fast!

(forum time is off a bit, but still lol)

Dr. Pezus

BananaKing

So did he actually have 43 billion in cash?

How did he end up paying for this?

Legend

So did he actually have 43 billion in cash?

How did he end up paying for this?
I think it's a $25.5 billion loan plus his own assets.

Legend

I think this news broke people, even more than usual. Scroll through reddit or twitter and practically everyone is making stuff up to push their agenda. The actual situation is irrelevant to the bigger culture war that people want to wage.

This forum and amusingly enough a space meme forum are the only places I visit that have had consistently real takes.

Go Up