Twitter now owned by Elon Musk

Started by the-pi-guy, Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Apr 04, 2022, 02:31 PM Last Edit: Oct 27, 2022, 02:39 PM by the-pi-guy

Elon Musk has taken a 9.2% stake in Twitter Inc. to become the platform's biggest shareholder, a week after hinting he might shake up the social media industry.

Twitter shares surged about 26% in premarket trading after the regulatory filing released Monday detailing Musk buying the holding. The stake is worth about $2.89 billion, based on Friday's market close.

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I hate that twitter now forces you to be signed in to view stuff. Feels like in 5 years it'll be dead.

nnodley

the-pi-guy

SWORDF1SH

nnodley

As weird as some of the things elon does.  This would likely make twitter better overall.  The censorship is absolutely outrageous on it right now.

Let me add yes there is some things that need to be taken down but having a difference of opinion doesn't always warrant censorship.

BananaKing

As weird as some of the things elon does.  This would likely make twitter better overall.  The censorship is absolutely outrageous on it right now.

Let me add yes there is some things that need to be taken down but having a difference of opinion doesn't always warrant censorship.
I agree. The only things that should ever be censored are things that are illegal like pedophilia for example. If ifs like Facebook and it doesn't want nude/adult content on there i can understand that too.

I dont use twitter though, so whats the issue with their censorship?

nnodley

I agree. The only things that should ever be censored are things that are illegal like pedophilia for example. If ifs like Facebook and it doesn't want nude/adult content on there i can understand that too.

I dont use twitter though, so whats the issue with their censorship?
Biggest thing i've seen with their censorship has been with covid.  People can have all the opinions they want with covid, but its heavily skewed towards if you aren't on the massive doom and gloom side you get banned or tweets taken off.  Unless your tweet is actively hurting someone it shouldn't matter.  People have the choice to research everything they see on the internet and if they can't do that then thats on them.  It is not on twitter to say whose opinion gets seen and whose does not.  Though i haven't really looked at twitter much lately so i don't know about how some of it looks as of now, but still seems you can get censored too easily still.  That actually goes with all social platforms. 

Now of course there are some opinions that get out of hand like with some of the anti vaccine people, but thats another thing entirely with those crazy people.

Legend

That is so much cash. How can he afford it without selling a huge amount of Tesla or SpaceX shares?

Seems like a massive mistake with the current info.

BananaKing

That is so much cash. How can he afford it without selling a huge amount of Tesla or SpaceX shares?

Seems like a massive mistake with the current info.
Perhaps a loan or other people partnering with him?

Legend

Perhaps a loan or other people partnering with him?
Yeah private companies can still have stock, so maybe once it's private he plans to have a limited stake or something. Sell twitter shares to pay back most of a loan or give twitter shares to partners.

It just doesn't seem worth the price though. What changes does he want that he couldn't have made with 9% and a board seat?

the-pi-guy

Yeah private companies can still have stock, so maybe once it's private he plans to have a limited stake or something. Sell twitter shares to pay back most of a loan or give twitter shares to partners.

It just doesn't seem worth the price though. What changes does he want that he couldn't have made with 9% and a board seat?

He declined the board seat, because it required a background check.  

That's probably the issue.  

Legend

He declined the board seat, because it required a background check.  

That's probably the issue.  
I doubt that's the issue. Why would a background check matter? Plus with Musk being so famous, I doubt a background check could find anything that journalists haven't already found.

kitler53

elon is shady as hell.  i'm sure he's done some bad stuff alone the way.  especially financial crimes.  hell, his whole take over bid seems like a clear pump and dump to me.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Go Up