Most youtube game dev tutorials/blogs suck

Started by Legend, Apr 04, 2023, 10:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Been thinking of making this thread for a while but I just came across a "Game Dev Tutorials suck" video that was even worse than the videos it was trying to call out. Most of these people know very little yet try to act as voices of authority.

Dev tutorials from every skill level are awesome yet so many of these youtubers seem to have built their brand around telling people their way is the only way.

I was very tempted to call out some bad ones, but instead I'll point out some random good tutorials. They focus on the journey and their improvements/failures along the way. Even though I personally disagree on smaller points, the videos are still valuable.

the-pi-guy

My first programming tutorial was very bad. I don't remember how much programming I knew beforehand. I was doing a lot of pretty crazy programming on my TI calculator and was learning Java on PC. I think I mostly knew programming, but I didn't know about classes and whatnot. 

My TI programming was looking up documentation and figuring out crazy ways to do things.

My Java programming started by following a tutorial by a (in)famous programming youtube tutorial maker. They taught some bad lessons with naming...

Legend

They taught some bad lessons with naming...
I bet they didn't use i in for loops, those monsters.

the-pi-guy

They are pretty infamous for calling variables things like apples.

int apple = 0;
int oranges = 5;
System.out.println(apple + oranges);

Legend

They are pretty infamous for calling variables things like apples.

int apple = 0;
int oranges = 5;
System.out.println(apple + oranges);
Not what I expected. Although I guess foo and bar don't make any sense either.