State Of Play Thursday 2PM PST - 30mins focused on Deathloop, Indies and some 3rd Party

Started by Xevross, Jul 06, 2021, 02:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

Tune in to State of Play this Thursday for an extended look at Deathloop - PlayStation.Blog

Oof, that's all I'll say.

BananaKing

Annoying. Give us the big show already.

Xevross

"This showcase will not include updates on the next God of War, Horizon Forbidden West or the next generation of PlayStation VR. Stay tuned throughout the summer though, as we'll have more updates soon."

So maybe the September rumours for the proper show were right all along, although now I'm thinking that won't be a big E3 style show either. Or maybe the big show just doesn't exist and we'll get random updates for these games.

Xevross

Jul 06, 2021, 02:27 PM Last Edit: Jul 06, 2021, 02:29 PM by Xevross
The rumour of a Bluepoint acquisition being the big surprise of the upcoming Sony show makes loads more sense now if it's just a 30 minute state of play. We'll see if it happens.

Legend

Why Sony why?

I'm super hyped for Deathloop. This show will be great for me. But everyone just wants a big E3 show.

kitler53

Why Sony why?

I'm super hyped for Deathloop. This show will be great for me. But everyone just wants a big E3 show.

because why not.  sony's been more like nintendo than microsoft for announcements in the last couple of years now.   they seem to want to focus their full marking on just the next title or two in their release schedule expect for just a couple of their biggest IP which get announced a bit earlier.   

outside a few of us forum trolls it makes more sense than what MS did by announcing fable/everwild/hellblade II over a year ago and having literally nothing to say about it since.   starfield will probably be MIA for over a year now too.   quite frankly,.. even as a forum troll i'm tried of announcements to games that have no gameplay whatsoever when announced, no follow-up details for over a year, and over two years before it actually releases.    

compare E3 2020 between MS and sony.   by my count sony has release 50% of the games they talked about 90% will be out by the end of this year.   MS only released 15% already and by the end of the year maybe 40% if things i count on things like crossfireX to actually ship based on the current "2021" release date even though we haven't heard anything about it since it was delayed last year.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

because why not.  sony's been more like nintendo than microsoft for announcements in the last couple of years now.   they seem to want to focus their full marking on just the next title or two in their release schedule expect for just a couple of their biggest IP which get announced a bit earlier.  

outside a few of us forum trolls it makes more sense than what MS did by announcing fable/everwild/hellblade II over a year ago and having literally nothing to say about it since.   starfield will probably be MIA for over a year now too.   quite frankly,.. even as a forum troll i'm tried of announcements to games that have no gameplay whatsoever when announced, no follow-up details for over a year, and over two years before it actually releases.    

compare E3 2020 between MS and sony.   by my count sony has release 50% of the games they talked about 90% will be out by the end of this year.   MS only released 15% already and by the end of the year maybe 40% if things i count on things like crossfireX to actually ship based on the current "2021" release date even though we haven't heard anything about it since it was delayed last year.

Nintendo works because they have consistency. Every year at E3 you can expect their big E3 direct, and then they have various types of directs for different things.

With PlayStation over the past few years, it's literally just wait and see. It's a huge downgrade over old Sony where E3 would be huge, Gamescom and PSX would be ok, and TGS would maybe have a surprise or two.

If games are taking too long to make, Sony should switch to a biennial D23 style show. Every other year go all out with a pre scheduled summer show and have these smaller States of Play to fill in the gaps.

Xevross

Nintendo works because they have consistency. Every year at E3 you can expect their big E3 direct, and then they have various types of directs for different things.

With PlayStation over the past few years, it's literally just wait and see. It's a huge downgrade over old Sony where E3 would be huge, Gamescom and PSX would be ok, and TGS would maybe have a surprise or two.

If games are taking too long to make, Sony should switch to a biennial D23 style show. Every other year go all out with a pre scheduled summer show and have these smaller States of Play to fill in the gaps.
Yeah I agree with this. Sony being random and all over the place with these shows is what people don't like.

kitler53

du fudge you talking about?!?

nintendos "E3" direct has not always been "big" these days.  are you forgetting about the year that their e3 presentation was only zelda for like 40 minutes?!?   they do directs,.. there is no rhyme or reason to when they drop other than you can expect one near e3.  you could get 2 in 2 months or go 9 months without any.  some drop massive announcements and some have nothing but indies and old ports.  for a while there nintendo literally has 0 unreleased announced games...

it's exactly the same as what sony is doing these days.   there is no consistency.   "random tuesday" is now a thing people say when sony announces something.  on the other side,.. there is literally ALWAYS a rumor that nintendo is just days away from announcing their next direct.  and when it doesn't come they just punt it out another week/month until one finally drops...

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

Jul 06, 2021, 10:35 PM Last Edit: Jul 06, 2021, 10:49 PM by Xevross
du fudge you talking about?!?

nintendos "E3" direct has not always been "big" these days.  are you forgetting about the year that their e3 presentation was only zelda for like 40 minutes?!?   they do directs,.. there is no rhyme or reason to when they drop other than you can expect one near e3.  you could get 2 in 2 months or go 9 months without any.  some drop massive announcements and some have nothing but indies and old ports.  for a while there nintendo literally has 0 unreleased announced games...

it's exactly the same as what sony is doing these days.   there is no consistency.   "random tuesday" is now a thing people say when sony announces something.  on the other side,.. there is literally ALWAYS a rumor that nintendo is just days away from announcing their next direct.  and when it doesn't come they just punt it out another week/month until one finally drops...
That Zelda e3 was a one-off year. Apart from that, Nintendo fans know to expect a full on direct every e3 at a minimum, with other directs being at semi-consistent times. Looking at general directs in the last 7 years:

Feb 2014
E3 2014
November 2014
Jan 2015
April 2015
E3 2015
November 2015
March 2016
E3 2016 (BOTW special)
September 2016
Jan 2017 (Switch reveal event)
April 2017
E3 2017
September 2017
Jan 2018 (mini)
March 2018
E3 2018
September 2018
February 2019
E3 2019
September 2019
March 2020 (mini)
--COVID--
Feb 2021
E3 2021

That's actually remarkably consistent. There's always one early in the year, if not one then two. There's always an E3 direct when E3 is on and there's always one in September or November (november 2015 or earlier, september since 2016). Extra directs dedicated to certain games are thrown around that. Even in 2016 they did their usual March and September directs either side of the one-off BOTW focused E3. Nintendo fans were only going crazier recently due to Nintendo deciding to basically pause their new announcements during most of the pandemic time, skipping directs for e3 and september last year. But they seem to be back to normal now.

In contrast, Sony fans have no idea what's going on currently.

the-pi-guy

Legend

My stream starts 1 minute past the hour...

Xevross

Xevross

These viewing figures are awful, state of play has been de-hyped too much

Xevross

sony need to turn that around!

Go Up