Battle of the Backlog

Started by Legend, Aug 05, 2019, 08:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

kitler53

I've eyed it up many times on the sales. worth $10?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I've eyed it up many times on the sales. worth $10?
Don't know, I'm only 1 hour in.

I got it around Christmas last year for $15 or so.

Legend

Jan 28, 2023, 05:04 PM Last Edit: Jan 28, 2023, 05:51 PM by Legend
I've done it. After 10 years, I've finally played Ryse Son of Rome.

It's not that good. I can see why it reviewed so poorly. Somehow For Honor has a better campaign. My favorite parts where when they said "Rise, my son of Rome" and "Son of Rome, Rise." Peak writing right there.

Combat was really janky. It feels like 90% of their time was spent on the execution system yet it's fundamentally broken. There is no immediate feedback for starting an execution, and it often fails to start, so you need to keep smashing buttons as if you're still in combat.

Historical accuracy was horrible! I just got back from Rome so I was excited to see Rome, yet most of the game is in England.  :'(

They really wanted a gow clone.

edt: forgot to mention it, but thanks for the gifted copy all those years ago

the-pi-guy

edt: forgot to mention it, but thanks for the gifted copy all those years ago
From who?

???

Legend

darkknightkryta

After God of War I've actually been wanting to finish up stuff.  Been working my way through Sakura Wars, Wild Arms and Fair Fencer F and I'm cleaning up Xenoblade Chronicles 2.  Abandoning all side quests to just focus on the main game made the game not a slog and relatively enjoyable.  I need to do that more but my OCD kicks in :(.

On another note, before I went back to Xenoblade, I put in the 3D Mario collection.  Now, I played a bit of Mario Galaxy, I enjoyed it, got a bit bored at how repetitive it got... in the second stage, so I stopped playing it to play something else.  But I know I'll eventually finish it on the collection, but I didn't actually put it on.  I did put Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine.  Holy hell.  I get Mario 64 is one of the first 3D platformer, but it's utterly unplayable.  I'll forgive the level design.  But the way Mario moves is almost unforgiveable.  He's constantly running on ice.  It makes jumps also a lot harder than they need to be.  Or doing anything in the game that requires any kind of precision.   Which is a lot.  So I tried Mario Sunshine after and I was not impressed, at all.  Bad controls, the tutorial was so long I could only imagine trying to clean up a whole level.  To sum up, other than Mario Galaxy, I don't think I'll ever finish Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine.

Legend

Maybe the port sucks.

64 still holds up as a really good platformer.

kitler53

I agree. 

Mario 64 is pure nostalgia for people.  it is objectively a terrible game.  it does not hold up like the nes,snes games. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I really need to finish a bunch of games.

Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Returnal
Diablo III

I kind of suck at finishing games. I either get swept away and am happy to play/replay the same game months on end, or I drop them like 2 weeks in at the first sight of trouble.

Legend

I really need to finish a bunch of games.

Ghost of Tsushima
Death Stranding
Returnal
Diablo III

I kind of suck at finishing games. I either get swept away and am happy to play/replay the same game months on end, or I drop them like 2 weeks in at the first sight of trouble.
My problem is that I always think I should save a game till I'm working on something similar as a dev. I tell myself "Ghost of Tsushima would do nothing for Hapax yet maybe having it fresh in my mind for Forged Odyssey would be handy."

Then I finally play it only to realize it's hardly applicable and I should have just played years ago.

Go Up