January 2016 NPD Thread! PS4 230k, XB1 132k, WiiU 40k

Started by Xevross, Feb 11, 2016, 05:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

ZhugeEX

Microsoft not only paid for exclusivity, but for marketing.

ethomaz

Microsoft not only paid for exclusivity, but for marketing.
To be fair they should pay for a real exclusivity like Xbox One/PC only.
One year exclusivity won't pay what they wanted to archived I guess.
The Tomb Raider affect in sales in 2015 was almost imperceptible (due the bad bundle policies too).

the-pi-guy

To be fair they should pay for a real exclusivity like Xbox One/PC only.
One year exclusivity won't pay what they wanted to archived I guess.
The Tomb Raider affect in sales in 2015 was almost imperceptible (due the bad bundle policies too).
Takes a little money to convince a company to not sell to their largest user base.  

ZhugeEX

Feb 16, 2016, 02:43 AM Last Edit: Feb 16, 2016, 02:48 AM by ZhugeEX
Square Enix probably lost a potential $125m+ at launch by not releasing on PS4.

Whilst PC will help make up a slight difference I don't think It'll help generate the same type of revenue numbers that the 2013 game saw.

That being said we don't know what the development costs were for the game so it's hard to say if Rise was a failure or not (Personally I believe the quick PC release stopped it from falling short of expectations). But we can be certain the move is something that Square Enix will probably never do again due to the effect it has had on the IP (Unless the publisher pays big).

the-pi-guy

That being said we don't know what the development costs were for the game so it's hard to say if Rise was a failure or not (Personally I believe the quick PC release stopped it from falling short of expectations). But we can be certain the move is something that Square Enix will probably never do again due to the effect it has had on the IP (Unless the publisher pays big).
I do wonder how much damage the timed exclusivity had on it.  

I can't imagine that SE will do that.  If it's a new IP, I think that'd be understandable, but for their established games, I think that'd be a really big mistake on their part.
Overall I can't imagine that would be something they do again.  

kitler53

I do wonder how much damage the timed exclusivity had on it.  

I can't imagine that SE will do that.  If it's a new IP, I think that'd be understandable, but for their established games, I think that'd be a really big mistake on their part.
Overall I can't imagine that would be something they do again.  
well i still plan on buying it even though it is late on ps4 but i don't know if i'll buy it day-1 and probably just wait for a sale.

that's not so much a statement of punishment for delaying the game on ps4 but simply the fact that if TR had launched last holiday on ps4 there wasn't much else to be excited for but launching this holiday means coming on the tail end of an amazing year for ps4 and i just don't think i'll have time for it day 1.

sorry lara.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

ethomaz

Go Up