PlayStation Studios Development

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 27, 2015, 08:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Interview with Neil Druckmann.

The parts that I saw he was talking about that he was interested in telling stories more through gameplay and less through cinematics. (He talks about those moments in The Last of Us, as well as Elden Ring and Inside)
He also talks about how ND likes to move on and not get stuck working on the same IP.

nnodley

I think they'll do TLOU Part 3 and then move on. And maybe then another studio will pick it up and move it forward with their guidance from a small team within ND or something.  Similar to the new Uncharted rumor.

BananaKing

I hope they give another director than Neil a chance to make a new game. As talented as he is, I dont want him to make all ND games.

nnodley

i'm betting now that he's a co-president he'll move away from creative directing at some point.  I'm sure doing both of those is an insane amount of work.

the-pi-guy

I hope they give another director than Neil a chance to make a new game. As talented as he is, I dont want him to make all ND games.
Naughty Dog currently has 7 directors: (like half of these are creative directors and half are game directors.)

Matthew Gallant, Shaun Escayg => The Last of Us Part 1, not sure what they're doing now.
Vinit Agarwal, Anthony Newman => The Last of Us Multiplayer
Kurt Margenau, Neil Druckmann, Anthony Newman => seems likely they're working on a new IP.  

kitler53

a good director is irreplaceable.  you can't really teach "creative" and you can't really teach "leadership".  some people are just good while other never will be.

i hope neil never leaves as a creative/game director.  not entirely at least.  i'll bet he can push a lot of the day-to-day to someone else and then have oversight on many projects instead of just 1.  i'd be good with that.

i love that ND will abandon a perfectly good franchise.  it's the best part of ND tbh.  nothing worse than watching good talent burn out rehashing a tired franchise.  i honestly think a studio cannot be truely creative except when working on a new IP because any established IP comes with the burden of fan expectations.   sure,.. once in a blue moon you can reboot something like GoW did but that's not an every game kind of change.   the best formula, imo, is 1 game as a new IP to have total creative freedom and 1 sequel to refine and perfect the ideas.    ...then move on please.   especially in today's environment where a game takes 5 years to make.  i don't want my ps6 games burdened by the creative limitations of an IP introduced on the ps4.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Interview with Neil Druckmann.

The parts that I saw he was talking about that he was interested in telling stories more through gameplay and less through cinematics. (He talks about those moments in The Last of Us, as well as Elden Ring and Inside)
He also talks about how ND likes to move on and not get stuck working on the same IP.
Which moments in tlou2 and inside? I know the one point in the first, but the second didn't seem to have that iko

the-pi-guy

Which moments in tlou2 and inside? I know the one point in the first, but the second didn't seem to have that iko
Sorry he didn't talk about specific moments, exact quote:

I'm intrigued by stuff like Elden Ring and Inside that doesn't rely as much on traditional narrative to tell it's story.

I think some of the best story telling in the Last of Us, yes a lot of it is in the cinematics, but a lot of it is in gameplay and moving in the space and understanding the history of the space. Or just looking at it and examining it. And to me right now that is some of the best joy I get; games that trust their audience to figure things out. That don't hold their hand. That's the stuff I'm really intrigued by going forward.

the-pi-guy

• Bends new IP
  • Bluepoint game
  • Horizon Call of the Mountain
  • Firesprite Narrative Adventure game
  • Twisted Metal? (Firesprite Multiplayer Action game)
  • Firesprite mobile game?
  • Horizon MMO
  • Horizon DLC
  • Haven new IP
  • Housemarque new IP
  • Spider-man 2
  • Wolverine
  • Insomniac Multiplayer title
  • London Studio fantasy multiplayer game
  • Dreams support
  • Media Molecule new IP?
  • TLOU Online
  • Druckmann next game
  • Gallant next game?
  • Pixelopus game with Sony pictures
  • GT7 VR
  • MLB The Show 23
  • Cory Barlog new IP
  • Savage Game Studios new game
  • Ghost of Tsushima 2?
  • Astrobot title
  • RTS mobile title (Valkyrie Entertainment)
  • Destiny 2
  • Marathon?
  • Matter
  • Project Bates (Ballistic Moon) horror game
  • Project Carbon (Sumo - Open World)
  • Deviation Games partnership
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Firewall Ultra (First Contact)
  • Firewalk partnership
  • Lost Soul Aside (Ultizero Games)
  • Project Ooze (??? - leaked Sci-fi RPG)
  • Rise of the Ronin (Team Ninja)
  • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Saber)
  • Stellar Blade (Shift Up)

1-27 are PS games
28 - 30 is Bungie
31-41 are SIE published third party titles.
? are rumored or speculated

kitler53

and all of them to be released by 2030!!

the-pi-guy

Bruce Straley formerly of Naughty Dog, doesn't get the credit that he deserves.

A Game Director on Uncharted 2 (w/ Amy Hennig), Uncharted 4 (w/Druckmann) and The Last of Us (w/ Druckmann)

2 out of my top 3 favorite games ever, and yet he seems forgotten and he talks about having a strained relationship with ND.  

the-pi-guy

kitler53

first crystal dynamics and now this,...  

...how did we get to the point where we are announcing the hiring of contractors?

kitler53

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/naughty-dog-says-its-moved-on-from-uncharted-and-could-do-the-same-with-the-last-of-us/

you guys can read but i'd say the critical information:
- no more uncharted from ND
- TLoU3 as a script outline but not in development, perhaps will never go into development.

BananaKing

first crystal dynamics and now this,...  

...how did we get to the point where we are announcing the hiring of contractors?
Probably contractors and studios want this. For the recognition. If I was a support studio and working on horizon I'd want it announced

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/naughty-dog-says-its-moved-on-from-uncharted-and-could-do-the-same-with-the-last-of-us/

you guys can read but i'd say the critical information:
- no more uncharted from ND
- TLoU3 as a script outline but not in development, perhaps will never go into development.
I hope Nd moves away from both. But with the success of the show, I think they will do another TLoU

Go Up