Days Gone (2021)
God of War (2022)
Spider-Man: Miles Morales (2022)
Spider-Man Remastered (2022)
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves (2022)
Returnal (2023)
TLOU Part I (2023)

First party PC games so far.
I bet ghost of tsushima happens later this year when the sequel is announced.

kitler53

part of the reason Xbox is down YoY while ps is up is Xbox made a comment to putting ever title on PC day one making many confident they can not bother with Xbox. 

Sony better slow down or it will be the same.  make sure there is at least 1 year between and don't port everything. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I'd really like to see Sony make a Bethesda style RPG:
  • Relative item permanence
  • Relatively meaningful skill trees
  • Relatively cohesive world
  • No filler NPCs*

*Like in Skyrim, you can have a conversation with basically any NPC you find, except enemies that are short lived. But anyone living in the cities/towns, many of them even give you quests*

Legend

I'd really like to see Sony make a Bethesda style RPG:
  • Relative item permanence
  • Relatively meaningful skill trees
  • Relatively cohesive world
  • No filler NPCs*

*Like in Skyrim, you can have a conversation with basically any NPC you find, except enemies that are short lived. But anyone living in the cities/towns, many of them even give you quests*

It'd be awesome to see them really push a game like that. Horizon is almost there and just needs a few core renovations. #2 took a lot of the complaints to heart so hopefully #3 does as well.

Horizon

With the PS4 event occurring over 10 years ago it is fascinating and remarkable how much Sony's first party has grown in stature, quality and impact. Sony in 2013 event only announced Knack, Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second and Driveclub. They opened the show with Knack (weird) and closed with Destiny.

Guerrilla and Sucker Punch remain whilst Japan studio and Evolution no longer exist.Guerrilla is a fantastic example of the growth. In Sony's PS5 reveal event they closed the show with Horizon Forbidden West not a third party like they did in 2013.That shows the power of Guerrilla, Horizon and first party.Sucker Punch wasn't there but had their biggest hit with Ghost of Tsushima. If we compare with 2020 Insomniac was their in force with opening with Miles and Ratchet and were no where to be seen in 2013 as they went with Xbox for Sunset Overdrive. Now Insomniac are integral.

Quantic Dream showed a cool demo in 2013 showcasing their strong partnership but Bluepoint and Housemarque came through with tangible reveals in Returnal and Demon Souls remake. Both later got acquired. Polyphony had a strong showing with GT7.The PS3 was really carried by Naughty Dog with The Last of Us being the culmination of their work in 2013. Now Naughty Dog are a staple among a selection of top tier Sony devs who are capable of closing a big reveal event. of closing

the-pi-guy

With the PS4 event occurring over 10 years ago it is fascinating and remarkable how much Sony's first party has grown in stature, quality and impact. Sony in 2013 event only announced Knack, Killzone Shadowfall, Infamous Second and Driveclub. They opened the show with Knack (weird) and closed with Destiny.
I think Knack was there at the start, because Cerny could talk about both the PS4 that he helped design and the game that they were making with it.
Knack was somewhat integrated with the presentation, and was used to showcase some of the OS features.

the-pi-guy

Quote from: Jeff Grubb
Sony itself is saving its own actual good stuff for something else which is what's happening here, they're saving their good stuff for the PlayStation Showcase that's gonna happen before E3. It was supposed to happen last Fall but they kept pushing it back cause their developers weren't ready, but now that those developers are ready, they're going to have a massive show that really sets up the second phase of the PlayStation 5.

kitler53

so now when the show sucks we can all declare Sony dead. 

the-pi-guy

Would Sony acquire Larian?  

It's been something people were throwing around, with MS buying up a large chunk of the WRPG developers. Larian or CDPR would be good to have.

A good PC, WRPG developer with high critical acclaim.

Seems like the kind of studio that Sony would be interested in.

Legend

Nah. They're big and popular but like Housemarque, I think they'd need to switch to third person to get bought.

kitler53

Feb 24, 2023, 02:23 PM Last Edit: Feb 24, 2023, 02:24 PM by kitler53
Nah. They're big and popular but like Housemarque, I think they'd need to switch to third person to get bought.
what a limited and dumb PoV.    sony wants high quality and high selling titles.    if balder's gate goes on to sell 10 million sony isn't going to give a crud it's not in the 3rd person PoV.  diablo III sold 3.5 million units in it's first 24 hours.

Would Sony acquire Larian?  

It's been something people were throwing around, with MS buying up a large chunk of the WRPG developers. Larian or CDPR would be good to have.

A good PC, WRPG developer with high critical acclaim.

Seems like the kind of studio that Sony would be interested in.

CDPR doesn't feel like a good fit for sony.   that kind of disfunctional studio seems to be what MS wants.  i don't know a whole lot about larian but that would be a better fit for sony imo.   with how the market is going sony maybe need to grab it to keep themselves competitive.

BananaKing

Why doesn't CDPR fit sony? They make great games, and id argue Sony would have given them more time to work on cyberpunk if they saw it needed more time for polishing.

They release big games and released smaller ones throughout.  I really hope Sony gets them before MS does

the-pi-guy

Feb 24, 2023, 02:37 PM Last Edit: Feb 24, 2023, 02:41 PM by the-pi-guy
People had been throwing out Larian for quite a while as a major private studio. I kind of was dismissing it because they seem overly PC oriented.

But the fact that Baldur's Gate is apparently a timed exclusive(?) to PS5 is making me rethink about it.

They seem like a lot like the kind of studio Sony would go after. A solid studio that's not oversized, with high critical acclaim.

what a limited and dumb PoV.
   sony wants high quality and high selling titles.    if balder's gate goes on to sell 10 million sony isn't going to give a crud it's not in the 3rd person PoV.  diablo III sold 3.5 million units in it's first 24 hours.
Well that's a tad aggressive.

These are different times, my friend!
Plus they could help them expand.

Why doesn't CDPR fit sony? They make great games, and id argue Sony would have given them more time to work on cyberpunk if they saw it needed more time for polishing.

They release big games and released smaller ones throughout.  I really hope Sony gets them before MS does
I'd argue that the biggest reason Sony wouldn't want them, is that they're kind of big and probably relatively overpriced (but that's come down quite a bit). They also have Gog.

But a lot of that was true for Bungie.

BananaKing

People had been throwing out Larian for quite a while as a major private studio. I kind of was dismissing it because they seem overly PC oriented.

But the fact that Baldur's Gate is apparently a timed exclusive(?) to PS5 is making me rethink about it.

They seem like a lot like the kind of studio Sony would go after. A solid studio that's not oversized, with high critical acclaim.
Well that's a tad aggressive.

These are different times, my friend!
Plus they could help them expand.
I'd argue that the biggest reason Sony wouldn't want them, is that they're kind of big and probably relatively overpriced (but that's come down quite a bit). They also have Gog.

But a lot of that was true for Bungie.
But the thing is, they do really good games, and the type that would fit perfectly into sonys catalogue. Yes the launch if cyberpunk was a mess, but this is still a studio growing and dealing with the hardships of AAA development, they could really benefit from Sonys experience

Also, they are moving to unreal, which I think will help their development process a lot.

As for GoG, its not really a big thing anymore, they can shut it down, just keep it going, or revamp it and start releasing Sony games on it.

Either way, Sony needs to snatch up as much developers as they can before MS does. After Activision, I dont think Ms will go for another publisher for a while, and go for big devs, like CDPR.

Legend

Feb 24, 2023, 03:49 PM Last Edit: Feb 24, 2023, 03:54 PM by Legend
what a limited and dumb PoV.    sony wants high quality and high selling titles.    if balder's gate goes on to sell 10 million sony isn't going to give a crud it's not in the 3rd person PoV.  diablo III sold 3.5 million units in it's first 24 hours.
Is there literally any evidence that Sony just wants high quality high selling games regardless of anything else?

They haven't bought a single studio like that. Every big studio so far has either fit current playstation or been part of their public goals to expand into gaas.

Go Up