Insider claims MS will bring exclusive to competitor

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 05, 2024, 11:57 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

&t=4056s

Nate The Hate:

The title I am referring to was met with high critical acclaim, fans loved it, it was in the GOTY conversation the year it released. When the announcement comes I think it's going to be met with a lot of excitement because this is a quality game.
Yes, Microsoft will be dabbling in bringing a 1st party game to a competitor platform in 2024. At least one game, I know of one, don't know if there will be additional.

the-pi-guy

The leading theory is Hi-Fi Rush on Switch.

kitler53

The leading theory is Hi-Fi Rush on Switch.
I could see that.  it would make money and not upset any Xbox fans like a big title would.  MS would love to point at that as to why it's okay for them to aquire TT.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Yeah smart and ruthless if it is hi fi rush. It had a pretty positive reception yet supposedly didn't have the highest player numbers.

Legend

Guess lots of xbox people aren't happy about this rumor, or maybe it's just ps fanboys wanting xbox fanboys to be unhappy. "xbots" was trending on twitter.

the-pi-guy

Grubbs says Sea of Thieves could come to switch and PS5.

(but the original rumor is about something else)

kitler53

Grubbs says Sea of Thieves could come to switch and PS5.

(but the original rumor is about something else)
ugh,.. that's a disappointment.   the rumor said "goty material in the year it released" so if it's sea of thieves A LOT of liberty was taken with that statement.   even if it was switch only hi fi rush would have been a lot more exciting as a non-xbox user. 

that said,.. like with ps saying their live service games would come to PC, if you are going to port a game to a competitor's platform the live services games make the most sense to port.  financially speaking i mean.

nnodley

Jan 08, 2024, 07:47 PM Last Edit: Jan 08, 2024, 07:49 PM by nnodley
Unless MS goes full power move and just buys everything up(it's possible), I personally think they see that their console hardware biz is severely lacking compared to PS and Nintendo.  Besides the 360, their hardware has done fairly lackluster compared to competitors. 

Its pretty good financially for MS to port things.  I HIGHLY doubt starfield did that well for them for revenue. Not to mention it literally fell off a cliff in hype.

kitler53

Unless MS goes full power move and just buys everything up(it's possible), I personally think they see that their console hardware biz is severely lacking compared to PS and Nintendo.  Besides the 360, their hardware has done fairly lackluster compared to competitors.  

like i said elsewhere,.. MS is in a weird position.   i think MS needs to either lock everything to their platform (including the big stuff like CoD/minecraft) or go full multiplat.  this current strategy where MS has full on committed to day-1 PC for all of their games and keeping many of their games on nintendo/sony anyways is really confusing.  

i fully expect a big change in the way MS operates soon.  not sure how.  not sure when.  but somethings gotta change.

the-pi-guy

ugh,.. that's a disappointment.   the rumor said "goty material in the year it released" so if it's sea of thieves A LOT of liberty was taken with that statement.   even if it was switch only hi fi rush would have been a lot more exciting as a non-xbox user.  
It'll be both.

Someone (supposedly reliable) on Era, says that Hi-Fi Rush was in development for Switch and PS5, but that Switch is likely going to be dropped.  

Not sure if this is a push to go full multiplat, or if it's just trying to get more out of a few of their games.

kitler53

It'll be both.

Someone (supposedly reliable) on Era, says that Hi-Fi Rush was in development for Switch and PS5, but that Switch is likely going to be dropped.  

Not sure if this is a push to go full multiplat, or if it's just trying to get more out of a few of their games.
I said earlier (and fully believe) this may be viewed inside MS as a way to point to how not-anticompetitive they are for when they set their sights on their next big target (TT, EA, ubisoft, SE, ect). 

the-pi-guy

I feel like Xbox's strategy is starting to feel a little confusing.

Phil Spencer has been talking about Xbox's games need to be attached to Gamepass.
Some of the other people have been talking about how they want things on basically every screen.

The acquisition money doesn't matter that much, they just move from liquid assets to something else. But growth is important, and they've invested $80 billion, and a lot of those investments don't seem to be profiting the way they intended. Gamepass isn't growing the way they expected. Starfield seems to have dropped off the map.

I think similarly how Sony wants to diversify into mobile and PC, I think it would make sense for MS to diversify on other consoles. Especially if (puts on tin foil hat) MS wanted to buy yet another publisher.

Horizon

I think they envisioned and sold people within MS (like the CFO and bean counters) that by 2023 the console would probably be like 40m rather than 25m now and Gamepass would be close to 50m due to growth of console,cloud and PC. This just hasn't happened, in fact 2023 has been dismal for console sales in 2023 and Gamepass growth has slowed massively. The company has given them probably close to $90bn on xbox with all the acquisitions and investment in studios and the higher ups are now demanding a return on investment which was promised. I think Phil Spencer would rather keep all the games exclusive but knows he has to run a financially viable business with attention drastically increased after the significant outlay. Quite frankly if the console sales do not pick up this year they won't make to 50m consoles sold by the end of the gen which will severely limit gamepass potential as cloud has not took off.

kitler53

I highly doubt that MS can turn around Xbox in 2024.   starfield felt like the one game that could start a change in the tides but it didn't even come close.

what games are dated for 2024?   

hellblade 2 could be a critical success and cult classic but it won't come even close to the mass appeal needed.

I know Ms has announced a ton of games but I can't think of 1 that seems hype enough to matter much.  good for those already on Xbox but not system sellers.  

plus even if games like sea of thieves aren't huge getting ported to other consoles will be a lot of negative word of mouth for Xbox as a platform. 

kitler53

ffs is game journalism is terrible.   i'm on my computer now (instead of my phone) so i wanted to do a quick check at what xbox has coming out in 2024.   according to gaming journalism these are all "confirmed" for 2024:
- hellblade 2
- fable
- india jones
- everwild
- clockwork revolution
- state of decay 3
- doom
- oblivion remaster
- avowed
- a major starfield expansion
- gears of war 6 (!?!?!?!?!?)

..and ps5 titles mentioned in these xbox articles i'm reading
- marvel's wolverine
- death stranding 2

rumors and speculation are not confirmation.   i can't wait for the "game was delayed" articles for when a game gets actually dated and it doesn't match the rumors and speculation....