Do your games actually take a long time to download/install

Started by Legend, Mar 26, 2023, 05:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Saw this meme about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/122h1wj/respect_your_elders/ Is this normal?

Installs from disc aren't immediate but usually you can start playing after a few minutes right? I know I have faster internet than many but don't game updates only take a minute or two?

kitler53

Mar 26, 2023, 05:26 PM Last Edit: Mar 26, 2023, 05:28 PM by kitler53
PS5 is better than the rest as I understand it. 

PS5 has a dedicated chip to manage downloads that Xbox, switch, and clearly my steam deck don't have. 

that means downloads are massively throttled if you are doing anything.   for instance on my steam deck I was downloading games at a decent rate and then I started a game and the download was throttled to just a few mb/s.  the download time jumped from a few minutes to like a day. 

so basically you have to actually stare at your downloads on consoles other than PS5.

....and even a 5 min download feels like ages of you are just staring at a progress bar.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Now that I live in town, everything is very fast.

Downloading an entire game is regularly like 20 minutes.

At my parent's house, a PS3 game would take like 16+ hrs to download. And large patches would frequently take an hour or more.

Even now my parents have the best plan in their area at 10 Mbps. I would say they rarely actually get those speeds and it is shared among 4 people.

Legend

Mar 26, 2023, 05:46 PM Last Edit: Mar 26, 2023, 05:52 PM by Legend
I wanted to play some Horizon Forbidden West again so I timed how long it took. Just 13 minutes from clicking download to being in game. Its 88 GB too so on the larger end of the spectrum.

Wouldn't this be pretty fast for a person just needing to install the starter area, even if their internet was way slower?

PS5 is better than the rest as I understand it.  

PS5 has a dedicated chip to manage downloads that Xbox, switch, and clearly my steam deck don't have.  

that means downloads are massively throttled if you are doing anything.   for instance on my steam deck I was downloading games at a decent rate and then I started a game and the download was throttled to just a few mb/s.  the download time jumped from a few minutes to like a day.  

so basically you have to actually stare at your downloads on consoles other than PS5.

....and even a 5 min download feels like ages of you are just staring at a progress bar.
I think it's fixed but xbox series x had a big glitch with that. Don't remember the specifics but even with no games open the download speed would sometimes be severely throttled. Could fix it with a restart.

darkknightkryta

Now that I live in town, everything is very fast.

Downloading an entire game is regularly like 20 minutes.

At my parent's house, a PS3 game would take like 16+ hrs to download. And large patches would frequently take an hour or more.

Even now my parents have the best plan in their area at 10 Mbps. I would say they rarely actually get those speeds and it is shared among 4 people.
I can't remember the setting, but the PS3 has something set to preven it from killing a router (by killing I mean clogging it).  That's partially why it take so long to download things.

Resident Evil 4 Remake took me an hour (or 2) to download on steam.  It was going at 11 megabits, so it wasn't slow.  It just takes that long to download 50 gigs apparently.