Recommend Me Some Games.

Started by kitler53, Mar 16, 2023, 08:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Yeah it's beefy. (My brother in law has one.)

Thought it seemed pretty awesome though.  

kitler53

yeah, and i'm not entirely complaining.  if anything i'm more confident than ever that sony could make a psvita 2 following the same form factor and get every ps5 game working on it at a lower resolution.   

i'd greatly prefer that to this steam deck.   i have nearly 1000 games on psn and a constant stream of new ones thanks to ps+ extra.   i'd rather be double invested into sony's platform than split platform even if steam has a couple of games i want to play that aren't on ps.   i don't need a single exclusive.  i just want my existing library on a "portable" device.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

this is a weird device.  

i can kind see why some people rave about it because it is a mobile PC but it's kind of a shaming gaming device.  some initial thoughts:

1. any statements of "it's my steam library but portable" is greatly exaggerated.

there are a ton of games i wanted to buy and play that are listed as straight up "unsupported".  i don't know what the actual % is but it's pretty dang high.  i'd guess at least 33%.   even of the games that are supported a vast majority of those are "playable" not "verified".   i'd say no more than 25% of steam games are actually "verified" for this device.   it's pissed me off because quite a lot of games i had in my head as something i'd finally get to play i can't actually play.

2. it really is a fudgy PC in the worst way

i bought a game that was listed as "playable".  according to the description the only reason it wasn't "verified" was because it sometimes had small text.  okay fine,.. it's not a text heavy game so whatever i'll still buy.

fudgy crashes at load.  i can't play it.  no fudgy clue what to do.   go to the internet and after a lot of searching find some site that confirms other people can't play the game either and some dude gives a 1 word answer how to fix it and then i got to google that to try and figure out what the fuk he means and now i'm in my steam deck downloading new files and modifying advanced configurations to make the dang game run.

3. the touch screen is pretty much garbage. 

i didn't hook a keyboard up to my device.  why should i have to?!?  all i wanted to do is play my games and that required a minimal amount of typing to get things like my router password typed out.  holy crud,.. like every 3rd touch is not registered.  i have to be really slow at typing because soo often it misses a letter.  

4. nothing about the interface is actually built for steam deck

like nothing.  everything is the steam interface for PC where a mouse is expected.  yes i can navigate the interface.  it's not impossible but there is no optimization for controller navigation.  my navigation feels wildly unpredictable with respect to pushing up/down/left/right and to which part of the interface i jump to.  it's especially terrible on the store,.. i don't think i can do it on the device itself.  i'd view a PC as a required accessory.  

one would think having a new device would be exciting and fresh and grab my attention for at least a while.  i messed around with it for a while last night but then just felt exhausted by it and went to my ps5.   i have a renewed appreciation for "dedicated consoles" right now.

BananaKing

this is a weird device.  

i can kind see why some people rave about it because it is a mobile PC but it's kind of a shaming gaming device.  some initial thoughts:

1. any statements of "it's my steam library but portable" is greatly exaggerated.

there are a ton of games i wanted to buy and play that are listed as straight up "unsupported".  i don't know what the actual % is but it's pretty dang high.  i'd guess at least 33%.   even of the games that are supported a vast majority of those are "playable" not "verified".   i'd say no more than 25% of steam games are actually "verified" for this device.   it's pissed me off because quite a lot of games i had in my head as something i'd finally get to play i can't actually play.

2. it really is a fudgy PC in the worst way

i bought a game that was listed as "playable".  according to the description the only reason it wasn't "verified" was because it sometimes had small text.  okay fine,.. it's not a text heavy game so whatever i'll still buy.

fudgy crashes at load.  i can't play it.  no fudgy clue what to do.   go to the internet and after a lot of searching find some site that confirms other people can't play the game either and some dude gives a 1 word answer how to fix it and then i got to google that to try and figure out what the fuk he means and now i'm in my steam deck downloading new files and modifying advanced configurations to make the dang game run.

3. the touch screen is pretty much garbage.

i didn't hook a keyboard up to my device.  why should i have to?!?  all i wanted to do is play my games and that required a minimal amount of typing to get things like my router password typed out.  holy crud,.. like every 3rd touch is not registered.  i have to be really slow at typing because soo often it misses a letter.  

4. nothing about the interface is actually built for steam deck

like nothing.  everything is the steam interface for PC where a mouse is expected.  yes i can navigate the interface.  it's not impossible but there is no optimization for controller navigation.  my navigation feels wildly unpredictable with respect to pushing up/down/left/right and to which part of the interface i jump to.  it's especially terrible on the store,.. i don't think i can do it on the device itself.  i'd view a PC as a required accessory.  

one would think having a new device would be exciting and fresh and grab my attention for at least a while.  i messed around with it for a while last night but then just felt exhausted by it and went to my ps5.   i have a renewed appreciation for "dedicated consoles" right now.
Its a new generation/product. Generally these always have big issues and drawbacks. I think a steam deck 3 and after would be much better. I think the next version will solve some problems, but it will still have some issues

kitler53

Its a new generation/product. Generally these always have big issues and drawbacks. I think a steam deck 3 and after would be much better. I think the next version will solve some problems, but it will still have some issues
maybe,.. but i'm still very angry about #2.  if a game is listed as playable i should be able to play it without modifications.

Legend

maybe,.. but i'm still very angry about #2.  if a game is listed as playable i should be able to play it without modifications.
Yeah that's not how it's supposed to work at all. I've heard lots of stories from devs thinking valve was pretty strict with steam deck testing, but maybe it's just because they have no experience with console verification.

I've been wanting a deck just so that I can make sure Hapax plays on it exactly like a PS4 game.

BananaKing

maybe,.. but i'm still very angry about #2.  if a game is listed as playable i should be able to play it without modifications.
100% agree with you. Im not saying anything on your list isn't right. I think all of them are issues and you have every right to complain about them, and expect the majority to be fixed.

Im just saying that always beware of first generation hardware.

kitler53

#5 oh boy are the gyros crud

tried out portal.   1st off,.. the default control scheme turns on: right analog, gyro, and track pad for camera controls.   maybe it's just me but i apparently lightly touch that track pad while holding the console.   my first impression was "holy crud this game is broken".   then i figured out where the control schemes area is and turned off the track pad.   tried gyro out just because of all the fanboys that say this is the greatest thing ever.   ...not going to find out here.  very unresponsive, only responded to my motion like half the time.   turned it off.   portal is a fun game with just dual analog.  

SWORDF1SH

Legend

I am Mayo
Also on playstation.

Pony island is not!

Soda drinker pro!

Frog fractions 2!

kitler53

I am Mayo
was that an actual game recommendation?

didn't find any game by that name.  did you mean "my name is mayo"?

SWORDF1SH

was that an actual game recommendation?

didn't find any game by that name.  did you mean "my name is mayo"?
Yes. The game is such a wonderfully crafted game with so much to do, that I forgot the name.

kitler53

Mar 25, 2023, 12:46 PM Last Edit: Mar 25, 2023, 12:54 PM by kitler53
Yes. The game is such a wonderfully crafted game with so much to do, that I forgot the name.
having looked at the game's page I sense sarcasm.  looks like one of those pay $1 for trophies "games". 

Also on playstation.

Pony island is not!

Soda drinker pro!

Frog fractions 2!
pony island is the only serious recommendation right?   ..like are you being serious here?   looks like an actual game compared to the others. 

darkknightkryta

To be honest?  I wouldn't lock myself out of ps5 games.  If you wanna play Zero Dawn on the go or Spider-man games on the go, then do it.

kitler53

To be honest?  I wouldn't lock myself out of ps5 games.  If you wanna play Zero Dawn on the go or Spider-man games on the go, then do it.
I'm not locking myself out, but the ones I can't play on PS5 are more interesting to me. 

and after my time with portal on steam deck,.. no I don't really want to play spiderman on the go.  just like with Vita,.. while playing all I could think is how much more enjoyable the game would be on a console with better graphics and more comfortable controllers.

Go Up