Thoughts on Sony making a "Western" RPG?

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 15, 2023, 07:52 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

With MS buying up some of the biggest developers of WRPG (Bethesda, Obsidian, you could include Blizzard now), some major fantasy RPG developers have basically disappeared from PlayStation.  

1.) Would it make sense for Sony to make something of their own?

2.) Do you consider Horizon to be an RPG?

3.) What would you like to see made?

BananaKing

Mar 15, 2023, 08:19 PM Last Edit: Mar 15, 2023, 08:34 PM by BananaKing
No I don't consider horizon a western rpg. An action rpg maybe.

But either way, I want sony to make one, something in line with the witcher, skyrim or mass effect. A game where you make your own choices in the story and other RPG elements

And yes, it would definitely make sense. RPGs when done right sell a shame tone

kitler53

1. yeah, probably.   

2. horizon an RPG?  probably not.  action game with RPG elements i think is the phase these days.   tbh i don't really know what rpg means anymore with how much cross-genre stealing has been going on lately.   some of these genres of old don't seem to really hold up anymore.

3. my "big idea" for an RPG i'd actually like to see is maybe a bit hard to explain.  the gist is to get rid of "quests" and "side quests" as a check-list and make something that actually feels like having an adventure.  no map.  explore at random.  towns and travelers exist and have "information" to guide you on your way towards self discovery of the main objective.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

I feel like Horizon, at least Horizon 1 isn't quite an RPG. I can't really comment on Horizon 2 yet, I've heard some say it's more RPG-like.  

It's got quite a few RPG staples like dialogue choices, quests, levels. But I feel like most of these RPG elements are very surface level. The dialogue choices don't meaningfully change the game. The levels don't really meaningfully change how you play. It's a very far cry from Skyrim where leveling up either completely opens up a huge amount of skills.

I'm personally of the mind that I would like to see Sony try their hand at an RPG. I think I've talked about that too much even.

Horizon

I honestly feel like RPG's lunch are sort of getting eaten into by single players ending up bigger and so many now featuring open worlds. A lot of sony's single player games will probably satiate the casual gamers with their scope, story and characters whereas the hardcore gamers will be seeking more specific experiences.

I honestly don't care as most of those RPG's are all first person and I play predominantly third person.I'll admit Starfield does look cool but really I just want a new Mass Effect and hope to god Bioware can nail it.

Legend

I feel like Horizon, at least Horizon 1 isn't quite an RPG. I can't really comment on Horizon 2 yet, I've heard some say it's more RPG-like.  

It's got quite a few RPG staples like dialogue choices, quests, levels. But I feel like most of these RPG elements are very surface level. The dialogue choices don't meaningfully change the game. The levels don't really meaningfully change how you play. It's a very far cry from Skyrim where leveling up either completely opens up a huge amount of skills.

I'm personally of the mind that I would like to see Sony try their hand at an RPG. I think I've talked about that too much even.
Horizon is slowly becoming an rpg but it still has a lot to go. The sequel gives you more options yet it's still dictating the scene 95% of the time.

I think Horizon 3 if they wanted could be a true western rpg. It shouldn't be as open as Skyrim, but it could be closer to The Witcher.

I'd love if Horizon 3 went this direction and/or another Sony studio made an rpg. Sony games have all ballooned into 30+ hour beasts and there's so much potential in adding some narrative freedom to a few of them.