Portable Gaming Today

Started by kitler53, Feb 22, 2023, 10:28 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

So like,.. there is no right/wrong answer but I just want to hear what you guys have to say.

Situation: fudge my fudgy work for fudgy deciding to go hybrid despite consistently saying for 2 years now that they wouldn't.   So starting in april i'm suppose to commute to work 3 days a week.   pre-pandemic i would game on my vita during my commute (train) but that thing is dead now.  so what should i do?

1. Get a switch
So like,.. it's a valid platform.  my son wants one.  there aren't too many games i want for it and fudge nintendo for never dropping the price so that the games it does have are too expensive.   but it's a valid platform.

2. Wait for switch 2
So like,.. i'd like to think switch 2 is right around the corner but who knows.   i skipped wiiU so switch has basically 2 generations of games for me to play but having 3 generations of games to play (it's save to assume BC right?) would be even better.    and even though i'm pretty much saying i'll be playing this mobile mostly i just hate the idea of hooking a switch up to my 4k tv and only getting 720p with terrible aliasing.  switch 2 is unlikely to impress me much but it's got to at least be an improvement...

3. Get a steam deck
So like,.. i don't have a PC so i'm sure there is a huge backlog of games i ought to play.  hate the idea that it's mostly the same library as playstation except i'd have to rebuy games but it's games that i like.   would get access to MS's games,.. not a ton for me here but a few.   hard to stomach the $700 though.  maybe it's cheaper overall when you consider games are obnoxiously expensive like on nintendo consoles.  

4. Mobile Gaming
probably not a long term solution for me.   but netflix has been dropping quick a few games and some of the are even good.   could probably carry me for a while if i'm trying to hold out for switch 2.

5. fudge games just watch netflix
I mean,.. i'll watch netflix regardless.  i did enjoy mixing it up from day-to-day though.   indie games especially just feel good on a handheld compared to a home console so i was playing a lot of those back on vita.

6. is there another option i'm not thinking about?
is there?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Steamdeck starts at $400.  
The difference between the $400 model and the $650 model is faster and larger SSDs.

But you could just buy an SD card instead.

I expect that the Switch 2 will probably be next year.

There are some SteamDeck alternatives, but I'm pretty sure they're mostly more expensive or otherwise worse.

BananaKing

The steam deck seems like a very enticing portable, specially since its now getting both MS and Sony games. But like you said its mostly the same library as PlayStation  

The switch is on its way out, its not a smart long term viable option. Specially since Nintendo tends to drop support for older consoles as soon as the new one releases.

Mobile gaming truly sucks and just doesn't do it for me. I've tried, a lot. Specially since I have a very good tablet, but the quality of games just isn't there IMO

Id personally love if Sony released another portable, no need to make exclusives for it. Just have it play PS5 games at a lower res and framerate, and have it backwards compatible with PS4 so you still have your library of games

Legend

I'm pretty sure you can buy the $400 deck and upgrade its memory yourself for far cheaper. That's what I plan to do once I buy one.

No way is switch 2 launching just a few months after zelda 2. Don't wait for it unless you want to wait till 2024 imo.

Also switch can't play wii u or 3ds games unless they were ported. Maybe the eshop has lots of old ones but I never use it. Still has a lot of games though.

kitler53

Feb 22, 2023, 11:45 PM Last Edit: Feb 22, 2023, 11:47 PM by kitler53
I didn't know you could swap out the SSD.  I'll look into that as SSD prices have come down significantly. 

my switch 2 expectations are this holiday or next march.  I know switch is still doing non dier numbers but also it is really old.  with how far in advance things like this need to be planned I figure it launched in a set window regardless of how good/bad switch is performing. 

Also switch can't play wii u or 3ds games unless they were ported. Maybe the eshop has lots of old ones but I never use it. Still has a lot of games though.

I know,.. but half of switches first party are wiiU ports.   you don't think I care about 3rd parties on switch do you?!?   lulz. 

Legend

I didn't know you could swap out the SSD.  I'll look into that as SSD prices have come down significantly.

my switch 2 expectations are this holiday or next march.  I know switch is still doing non dier numbers but also it is really old.  with how far in advance things like this need to be planned I figure it launched in a set window regardless of how good/bad switch is performing.
I know,.. but half of switches first party are wiiU ports.   you don't think I care about 3rd parties on switch do you?!?   lulz.
Nintendoland was never ported. What ever will you do without that masterpiece!?

the-pi-guy

Feb 23, 2023, 12:12 AM Last Edit: Feb 23, 2023, 01:05 AM by the-pi-guy
I didn't know you could swap out the SSD.  I'll look into that as SSD prices have come down significantly.
There's also an sd card slot that is hot swappable and works just fine for the vast majority of things. Can get a 512 GB sd card for like $60.

Some people even use them like regular game cards.

kitler53

Feb 23, 2023, 12:49 AM Last Edit: Feb 23, 2023, 12:51 AM by kitler53
Nintendoland was never ported. What ever will you do without that masterpiece!?
I'll be honest,. forgot that game existed.   had to Google it to even remember what kind of game it was.

There's also an ad card slot that is hot swappable and works just fine for the vast majority of things. Can get a 512 GB sd card for like $60.

Some people even use them like regular game cards.

I looked into the SSD thing,.. looks hard and risky.  I might just rather spend more.

a card slot could probably better suite me.

with some googling I was reminded steam deck can install retro arche and other emulators.   looks like steam deck is capable of getting up to wii games.  a nice bonus.

kitler53

wow.  an SSD for ps5 is less $ for twice the size as steam deck.  steam deck replacements are too expensive to make it worth it. 

kitler53

so did some poking around and I find it disappointing that after 2 gens it is difficult to even get to 20 games on switch I'd be willing to buy.   some are absolute must buys but like half are borderline meh I guess I'd pick this up since there isn't much else. 

although to be fair,.. I haven't been able to find even 20 games on PC not on console.  I'd be mostly buying for games that should be in playstation but were taken from me via MS acquisition. 

Legend

so did some poking around and I find it disappointing that after 2 gens it is difficult to even get to 20 games on switch I'd be willing to buy.   some are absolute must buys but like half are borderline meh I guess I'd pick this up since there isn't much else.

although to be fair,.. I haven't been able to find even 20 games on PC not on console.  I'd be mostly buying for games that should be in playstation but were taken from me via MS acquisition.
20 PC games not on playstation that you might enjoy:

Baba is You
Antichamber
Totem
The Beginner's Guide
The Looker
The case of the golden idol
Sethien
Subsurface Circular
Quarantine Circular
7 Days to end with you
Lightmatter
Event[0]
Her Story
Stephen's Sausage Roll
NaissanceE
Quern
The Eyes of Ara
Haven Moon
The Painscreek Killings
Strange Horticulture

kitler53

20 PC games not on playstation that you might enjoy:

Baba is You
Antichamber
Totem
The Beginner's Guide
The Looker
The case of the golden idol
Sethien
Subsurface Circular
Quarantine Circular
7 Days to end with you
Lightmatter
Event[0]
Her Story
Stephen's Sausage Roll
NaissanceE
Quern
The Eyes of Ara
Haven Moon
The Painscreek Killings
Strange Horticulture
yeah,.. I'm sure there are games but I couldn't find them.   indies can take a lot of work to find.  bolded the ones I knew about. 

the-pi-guy

I personally want to get a SteamDeck, probably makes more sense for me than getting a Series X.

I already have some of the games that I would want to play on Xbox on PC. The big one is the Master Chief Collection.

kitler53

I personally want to get a SteamDeck, probably makes more sense for me than getting a Series X.

I already have some of the games that I would want to play on Xbox on PC. The big one is the Master Chief Collection.
steam deck absolutely makes more sense then an xbox for me.   get's me access to all of MS's games + other PC exclusives + it's portable.   with gamepass on PC anyways there is really no reason to ever get an xbox except a preference for the console form factor. 

Legend

So did you decide to get something?