PSVR2 Launch Day!!!

Started by Legend, Feb 22, 2023, 03:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Sony lied. hype died. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

nnodley

There's been two weird reviews/discussion things about PSVR2 that I've seen.

These people don't seem to realize that PSVR2 does have the finger touch detection too for some reason.

There was also like 4 people for a different video, where none of them seemed to realize that PSVR2 had pass through.

Very strange.
Video of people that have used the headset and didn't know it had pass through?  I mean it literally shows you as you set it up

the-pi-guy

Video of people that have used the headset and didn't know it had pass through?  I mean it literally shows you as you set it up
They were specifically talking about it being a pain to find the controller after getting the headset on. That there was no way to see the orientation.

Legend

@nnodley

Any additional thoughts now that you've had it for a bit longer? What's your favorite game?

the-pi-guy

Legend

Mar 05, 2023, 10:00 PM Last Edit: Mar 05, 2023, 11:30 PM by Legend

I'm really looking forward to buying one.

edt: wait what's he talking about with the controllers losing tracking behind his back? I thought they had independent inside out tracking.

edt2: wow I didn't know that was standard. That's lame! I guess my current oculus rift has better tracking then new headsets.

the-pi-guy

I'm really looking forward to buying one.

edt: wait what's he talking about with the controllers losing tracking behind his back? I thought they had independent inside out tracking.

edt2: wow I didn't know that was standard. That's lame! I guess my current oculus quest has better tracking then new headsets.
The Quest Pro have independent inside out tracking.
The original Quest/Quest 2 controllers don't have independent tracking. That's why it has the ring still, to be tracked by the headset.  

the-pi-guy

Funnily though, I am like 90% sure the original Vive controllers handled their own tracking.

Valve's lighthouse works the opposite of PSVR and Oculus Rift 1 tracking. The base stations are beacons (thus lighthouse) and the headset would look for the beacons instead. Technically the Vive was the first inside out headset though it required markers.

I'm not sure if there was anything additional with the controller tracking, but I'm pretty sure similarly they would just track the base stations.

Occlusion was still an issue with losing sight of the base stations, so wasn't as much of a benefit there.

I think Quest Pro controllers are the only ones that practically have no occlusion.

Legend

Funnily though, I am like 90% sure the original Vive controllers handled their own tracking.

Valve's lighthouse works the opposite of PSVR and Oculus Rift 1 tracking. The base stations are beacons (thus lighthouse) and the headset would look for the beacons instead. Technically the Vive was the first inside out headset though it required markers.

I'm not sure if there was anything additional with the controller tracking, but I'm pretty sure similarly they would just track the base stations.

Occlusion was still an issue with losing sight of the base stations, so wasn't as much of a benefit there.

I think Quest Pro controllers are the only ones that practically have no occlusion.
Yeah occlusion was sometimes a problem on my rift but with three base station cameras it wasn't bad.

I wonder if time of flight sensors would ever be feasible, thinking more like gps than kinect v2. Would theoretically get the best results possible as long as human flesh is fully transparent at whatever frequency is used.

nnodley

@nnodley

Any additional thoughts now that you've had it for a bit longer? What's your favorite game?
Not really anything new.  I've still only been playing Horizon.  But i got moss and moss book 2 so i'll start those soon.

Legend

@the-Pi-guy

we're well past launch day, should we stop using this thread?

the-pi-guy

@the-Pi-guy

we're well past launch day, should we stop using this thread?
It's your thread.

kitler53

isn't there just a VR OT thread?  I couldn't find it.   anyhoo:

kitler53

the-pi-guy

Go Up