Recent Posts

Pages[1] 2 3 ... 10
It turns out that Odysseus landed on the Moon without any altimetry data | Ars Technica

Wow. Hot fix did not work and it landed all on its own. No height data for the last 12 minutes of flight. Thought it still had 100 meters to go when it hit the ground.
Gaming Community / Re: NaissanceE, a game you've ...
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 08:07 PM
It'll be interesting to see how frustrating Hapax ends up being. I very much want it to feel like a truly alien world not built for the player, but I don't want players to be more frustrated than necessary.

I have a fair amount of quality of life features yet what happens when players don't know they exist? Outer Wilds for example has arrows that help with space navigation, but players often just ignore them. Flying feels broken and stupid for them because they never learn how the mechanic actually works.

I feel good about my general world design at least. Every important thing can be learned in a bunch of different ways but in a non redundant way. Players should have way fewer problems with getting stuck and having no idea how to progress.

The thing I don't feel great about is player motivation. Hapax could be pretty boring if players don't have a strong goal at any given moment. Rainworld kills players a lot so just surviving is a good base goal, and they have a a worm thing that directly gives you a goal at times. My backup solution in Hapax is to put some form of companion on your phone that can help give goals.
Off-Topic Community / Re: Movie Thread
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 07:22 PM
I wish those digital copies never expired. I've never bothered but one of these days they might be nice.
Most of them don't actually expire.

Warner Bros has started expiring their old codes, whereas I've successfully used some 4 year expired Disney codes without any issues.

I started redeeming them, so I could recycle the paper.  But it also feels like a potential backup if something were to happen the physical copies too.  
Off-Topic Community / Re: Movie Thread
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 07:03 PM
Not that anyone cares.

But I got Inglourious Basterds. There was no digital code included, despite the box saying otherwise.

So I emailed Universal. They asked for pictures of the back and front. I sent them.

I noticed afterwards that there's a small line that says the included digital copy may not be valid after 2022.

I don't super care about the digital code, but eh, I feel like I should have it.
I wish those digital copies never expired. I've never bothered but one of these days they might be nice.
Game News Discussion / Re: PlayStation laying off 900...
Last post by nnodley - Yesterday at 06:32 PM
seems the live service stuff was the biggest blunder. Sony had so much success with single player story games that I don't really understand the super hard push to live service. I understand the money aspect and growth, but there really isn't that many live service games that make a big impact.  There's just not that many success stories for this kind of push.
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 05:07 PM
Sony's live service dream is over. Didn't even give it a chance.
Yeah I expected these games to have trouble post release where only a few find long term success.

Instead it looks like only a few will even make it to release.

ugh.  

sony looks to have shame the bed with ps5.   it's been an okay gen i guess but it's been taking ages to get anything out the door.   i swear we've heard of more cancellations than actual games in the last 2 years.
I blamed a lot of it on the pandemic but it looks like Sony is making big mistakes too.

Wonder what Herman Hulst's roll in all of this is. Going from Killzone to Horizon was brilliant in so many ways and I expected other studios to replicate that. Instead we're stuck with stuff like this.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 04:37 PM
A few studios are still working on them.

Guerilla, Firewalk, Haven Studio, Bungie.
Last post by SWORDF1SH - Yesterday at 04:13 PM
Last post by kitler53 - Yesterday at 04:02 PM
ugh.   

sony looks to have shame the bed with ps5.   it's been an okay gen i guess but it's been taking ages to get anything out the door.   i swear we've heard of more cancellations than actual games in the last 2 years.
Pages[1] 2 3 ... 10