Sony Interactive Entertainment and NCSoft announce strategic partnership

Started by the-pi-guy, Nov 28, 2023, 04:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

NCSoft SIE

The two companies' CEOs - Taekjin Kim of NCSOFT and Jim Ryan of SIE - have met and jointly signed the partnership.

Under this partnership, NCSOFT and SIE will collaborate in various global business fields, including mobile.

The two companies are evaluating a range of potential opportunities with an aim to foster strategic synergy, leveraging NCSOFT's technological prowess and SIE's global leadership in the entertainment field.

"This partnership with SIE is the beginning of our efforts to build various synergies together, utilizing both companies' core competencies, technological capabilities, and expertise," said Taekjin Kim, President and CEO at NCSOFT. He added, "We will deliver a new and enjoyable experience to our audience across and beyond genres and regions."

"Partnering with NCSOFT advances our strategy to expand beyond console and broaden PlayStation's reach to a wider audience," said Jim Ryan, President and CEO, SIE. "Like SIE, NCSOFT shares a similar vision in creating high-quality, impactful entertainment experiences for players everywhere, and together we're excited to collaborate to push the boundaries of gaming further."

Legend

That's cool. Not sure what it means for Sony's gaas push. Is this an acceleration, or a recalibration?

the-pi-guy

That's cool. Not sure what it means for Sony's gaas push. Is this an acceleration, or a recalibration?
Supposedly NCSoft has been working on a Horizon Online game with Guerilla for a while.

Possibly an acceleration, maybe neither, just the long plans coming out official.  

Legend

Supposedly NCSoft has been working on a Horizon Online game with Guerilla for a while.

Possibly an acceleration, maybe neither, just the long plans coming out official.  
The one that was leaked, or is this a second Horizon multiplayer game?

the-pi-guy

The one that was leaked, or is this a second Horizon multiplayer game?
Not 100% sure.  

Supposedly this is for a Horizon MMO.

I almost thought there was a co-op Horizon Multiplayer game and a Horizon MMO in development, but I can't find anything on the former.

darkknightkryta

I could have sworn they made a similar announcement back in ooooh  2009.

the-pi-guy

I could have sworn they made a similar announcement back in ooooh  2009.
Someone on Era pointed this out:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ncsoft-and-sony-interactive-entertainment-announce-strategic-partnership.789489/#post-115515075

They had agreements in 2007

the-pi-guy

There was a report a while ago that Sony was in talks with multiple Korean developers including this one and the recent Lies of P developer.  

Would be interesting if that one in particular became an acquisition.  

darkknightkryta

Someone on Era pointed this out:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ncsoft-and-sony-interactive-entertainment-announce-strategic-partnership.789489/#post-115515075

They had agreements in 2007
To be honest, I legit remembered since I used to play Guild Wars a lot.  I was like "Guild Wars on PS3 eh?" It never happened.  But yeah, I saw that post too.