Space debris problem

Started by TommyJ, Feb 19, 2021, 03:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

TommyJ

Due to the fact that scientists are concerned about the problem of Kessler syndrome, space companies have begun their journey to participate in orbit cleanup. Some suggest capturing debris in orbit using construction-like foam nets. There are many ideas, for example, Skyrora offers a reusable space tug.
The device has already passed ground tests.
I liked this thing because it is the closest to reality at the moment.
Do you think we need to clean up in orbit?

Legend

I don't worry about Kessler syndrome but I think it's irresponsible to just "pollute" outer space without a strategy.

Reusable space tugs will be great. Graveyard orbits are a good solution for the moment but ideally everything we put up should either be in active service or on its way down.

TommyJ

Actually, there are already some rules that should regulate the state of affairs in orbit. In this article: Want to put a satellite into orbit for US comms? Whoa, says Uncle Sam: Where's your space crash risk assessment? • The Register
So the only problem is what's already in orbit. I hope that this problem can be solved before there is no room for new technologies

SpaceJac

I'm very concerned with the problem of space debris. Of course, our orbit should be cleaned up as soon as possible, and the space tug you've presented is a perfect fit for this purpose.  Graveyard orbits are just temporary solutions because they'll have to be cleaned up once. We've polluted the Earth and even managed to pollute space. It's unacceptable.