The VR thread. U R Not red(e) PSVR2 is legitimate!

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Sep 05, 2015, 06:10 PM

previous topic - next topic

How sick of Pi's VR hype are you?

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Legend

Headset is 4K, but it's not known if it's per eye or total.  
What is the fov on that thing? Really novel looking design.

Dr. Pezus

Headset is 4K, but it's not known if it's per eye or total.  
This sort of thing is needed for the mass market to jump in. Many dont want to wear something huge on their head

the-pi-guy

Hardly any information on it. 
No details of FOV have been released yet. 

Just a few details about the screens (4k, hdr). And a few things about the audio. 
This sort of thing is needed for the mass market to jump in. Many dont want to wear something huge on their head
Yep! 
Oculus Quest capability + this kind of form factor is what VR needs to look like before it goes mainstream. 

It might also need solid mixed reality that Facebook is working on. 

the-pi-guy

For example, a Panasonic representative said they could achieve a 100 degree field of view with this slim design using larger OLED microdisplays than the ones inside the headset I tried. This is to say the smaller OLED panels in the CES prototype produced a noticeably smaller field of view than most current consumer designs -- around 70 degrees measured diagonally, according to Panasonic.
Panasonic says it uses multi-element pancake lenses with panels produced in partnership with Kopin.

The weight loss is considerable compared with current VR headset designs. Panasonic reps said they are somewhere in the range of 150 grams, which is only about a third of one pound, but that could change based on the path they take to turn this prototype into an actual consumer product.

Panasonic representatives said they have "multiple" candidate designs for the addition of 6DoF tracking, though that would likely add some weight.
Hands-On: Panasonic VR Glasses Tease A Vision In Need Of A Platform

the-pi-guy

It'll be a pretty awesome day if/when VR headsets are basically that size, and are standalones with 6dof, 16k resolution, 240 hz, eye tracking, bci support, hand tracking, glasses replacement with mixed reality support.  

Welp, see you guys in 10 - 15 years!  

Well, it's crazy how close we are to a lot of that actually.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Have you played Lone Echo/Echo Arena?

A really well recieved game, but I've yet to play.
I also haven't played it yet. Excited they are making a sequel though.

Legend

Ubisoft building a brand-new team to work on an unannounced AAA VR project on of their greatest IPs | ResetEra

Narrative Designer - VR (Unannounced Project) (m/f/d) - Düsseldorf - Indeed.com     de.indeed.com de.indeed.com    
We are now accepting applications for Narrative Designer - VR (Unannounced Project). We are building a brand-new team to work on an unannounced AAA VR project. You will work on cutting-edge VR technology, on one of Ubisoft's greatest IP's which will be developed across multiple studios. Join us today to shape the future of VR!

Job Description
 We are looking for an experienced Narrative Designer on an unannounced AAA VR project at Ubisoft Düsseldorf. You will work closely with the Narrative Director to create a consistent and believable narrative structure, great dialogue and believable characters. Your goal is to create a living and rich world filled with content and personality.  Click to expand... Click to shrink...  

the-pi-guy

Legend

NoFrag: People don't care about Half-Life anymore | ResetEra

translated from french, thought it was sadly interesting :

Half-Life n'intéresse plus les joueurs | NoFrag     nofrag.com nofrag.com    
 release of HL2 ep 2 compared to announcement of HL Alyx, in google search for " Half Life "

Compared to other FPS franchises :

To promote the franchise and let players catch up on the history of HL, Valve made all the HL games free 2 play for a few months, but it failed to capture much traction with a very low amount of players returning to the games :

Its great to see Valve making a AAA game again, going back to HL universe and taking a bold stance on VR making a real experience tailored for the hardware but even if its the best game in the world, the game won't sold much with such a steep hardware price requierement and its impact might but extremely limited...

As for the future of HL, lets hope their recent announcement about going back to the franchise with Alyx is their acknowlegment of this game being way to hard to acess for the mass market.  
Wonder how well Half Life Alyx will sell.

Will it sell mostly off the ip or mostly off being a good vr game?

the-pi-guy

NoFrag: People don't care about Half-Life anymore | ResetEra

(I know you know most of this already.  ;) )
1.)  There is an issue with using google trends.  Half-life might end up getting split up more among Half life (which will ironically get a boost from being a technical term), half-life, etc.  Single word names that are unique will tend to be more reliable.  

2.)  It's hard to make a comparison between Halo and Half Life, for several reasons, (different number of titles, different time period of release, different platforms, different stores).  

An interesting point of comparison here is that Half Life always being beneath Halo in the search engine trends. Even in 2004, when Halo 2 and Half Life 2 both released a week from each other.  Half Life 2 has sold about 12 million, whereas Halo sold around 8 million on Xbox.  
There's a lot of reasons why that was the case, but search engine data doesn't perfectly translate to sales.  

Wonder how well Half Life Alyx will sell.
I think it'll sell 1-2 million this year.  

Will it sell mostly off the ip or mostly off being a good vr game?
I wonder if we'll really ever get data on that.  

I'm leaning towards the IP being the seller.  

the-pi-guy

HP, Valve, and MS announced they're making a headset together. 

I'm really curious about it.  They are promising a "no compromises next gen VR" and HP and Valve already made really great headsets.

The HP Reverb is supposed to have a really great display 2160x2160 per eye, compared with 1440x1600 on the index and that's pretty high resolution in the space.  You have to go to the PiMax or Varjo lines to beat those resolutions. PiMax is the closest comparison but I've heard bad things outside of the resolution. 

And Index has the highest refresh rate at 144 Hz. 

I'm also curious to see the tracking solution.  Valve's involvement suggests lighthouse to me, MS's suggests inside out. 

So either it's a headset that can use both or it'll be a high quality inside out headset that meets Valve's standards.

This and PSVR 2 are the headsets I'm most curious about right now.

the-pi-guy

Legend

Sony video showing finger tracking:

I'm always impressed with what's possible without video tracking.

Go Up