Procedural RPG OT: every action has consequences

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Apr 20, 2019, 09:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Sep 11, 2019, 04:29 PM Last Edit: Sep 11, 2019, 05:45 PM by Legend
The Forged Kingdoms: Survival

TFK: Survival is all about the basics. Just the massive open world and a lone player. This is the base game I'm focused on. Everything else will come in expansions.

This game only has 3 major things to worry about which is nice.

1: world interactions-running, climbing, swimming, hunting, fishing, etc.
2: world generation-making a good world with trees, birds, fish, deer, etc.
3: crafting-player building stuff.

1 and 2 are mostly solved. 3 is still a bit unknown.

Everything can be crafted from anything, but how does crafting work in general? Is a house just a single thing placed in one action, or is it built wall by wall? Is a quarry built or is it dug?

EDT:

I think I've come to a solution.

Buildings are physically built somewhat like real buildings. A blueprint is placed on the ground with the general shape of the building and material piles are generated for each part of the building. So let's say the player is building a nice house. The general scope and design of the house is set from the crafting menu and the player stamps the blueprint into the world. All this does is produce a basic outline of the structure. It also designates a section of ground for wall materials, a section of ground for roof materials, and a section of ground for furnishing materials. These ground sections are open air chests that the player can fill with construction materials such as stone, wood, gold, etc. Simultaneously the player needs to actually build the house. This first starts with digging the basement and setting up the foundation. The player, either using a tool or their bare hands, digs this automatically. It takes less time depending on the circumstances. Then the player builds the walls using a similar system, then the roof, and then the furnishing.

This time based system is needed imo since labor is a major element of construction. Ignoring it would result in unrealistic expansion for massive kingdoms, and would make massive mines and quarries free to build at any moment.