Movie Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 25, 2014, 04:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

BananaKing

Remember when this thread was really active? You know... because there were actual movies coming out.... ahh the good old days

Xevross

Jun 26, 2021, 06:56 PM Last Edit: Jun 26, 2021, 06:58 PM by Xevross
Well maybe its time for some box office!

Fast 9 opens to a $30m opening day, the box office is back baby.

AQP2 was the first big opening, with a $19m opening day and $47m opening weekend (GvK has $32m OW). Fast 9 is heading towards a $70m weekend, this is the first real big blockbuster weekend since before the pandemic. Sonic opened with $58m in mid-Feb 2020, that was probably the last one.

Black Widow will be the next big one, currently tracking for about a $90m opening weekend.

Xevross

Hobbs and Shaw had a $60m opening, so F9 opening higher with it still being a declining franchise shows the box office is pretty much back to full health (Fate had a $98m opening following Furious 7's $147m).

Xevross

And to speak of movies, I went to the cinema for the second time in the pandemic, first since Tenet.

I watched In The Heights, absolutely loved it, definitely my kind of thing.

BananaKing

Man this thread was dead for so dang long.

It will still take a while for the worldwide box office to be back to full health. But hopefully it can return to its full force. I dont think streaming is the way to go for this market.

kitler53

I'm mostly certain I'll never go to the movie theatre for a movie ever again.   

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Xevross

I'm mostly certain I'll never go to the movie theatre for a movie ever again.  
I love going to the cinema. I'm probably going to start going more than I ever did before.

kitler53

I love going to the cinema. I'm probably going to start going more than I ever did before.
to each their own. 

with tickets running $15-20 in my area spending $60-80 for my family to get 1.5 hours of entertainment is the worst value in entertainment I can think of especially since half the movies suck.   Netflix and Disney+ movies on my home's big screen is good enough for me.  when I go out I want to do something that actually required me to go out: ballet, stand-up, go karts, swimming pool, ren fest, mini golf, bowling, ect.   if I see a movie out it will probably be an old movie at a drive in or community center kind of thing. 

Legend

I watched The Thing for the first time.

Was good. Did not expect it to have so much story about the "thing" and where it came from. Felt like the writing was ok. People could have just stuck together and avoided most deaths. Visual design and effects were amazing. I went in expecting them to be overhyped but nah, they are really really good.

Also watched 2011 The Thing. Was ok.

Dr. Pezus

Rewatched Alien and Aliens. Aliens especially is still incredible

Legend

Rewatched Alien and Aliens. Aliens especially is still incredible
It's funny. I rewatched the whole series a few months ago and Aliens just didn't do it for me. It was good, but felt way worse than Alien. Felt closer to Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.

Dr. Pezus

It's funny. I rewatched the whole series a few months ago and Aliens just didn't do it for me. It was good, but felt way worse than Alien. Felt closer to Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection.
I was actually blown away by the special effects considering its age. Alien was way more primative. Less action but more psychological I guess

Xevross

$13.2M previews for Black Widow, by far the biggest since Star Wars Ep 9 in 2019. Expectations are its heading for about a $85-90m weekend given that its on Disney+ and fewer families will turn up at the cinema. Without D+ probably would be thinking over $100m with those previews.

kitler53

i watched michells bs the machines on netflix last night.  i was really good.   like really good not,.. just good for a gamepass netflix movie.   much much better than the things i've watched from disney this year like luca and soul.   luca was legit terrible.  still want to watch raya. 

kitler53

raya was really good too. 

Go Up