Biggest Lies Video Game Developers Tried To Tell You But Ended Up Getting Caught

Started by Raven, Feb 08, 2015, 04:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

http://gamingbolt.com/biggest-lies-that-video-game-developers-tried-to-tell-you-but-ended-up-getting-caught

1. Kinect Star Wars Failed E3 2010 Presentation - On-screen character moved before the user did.
2. Ubisoft's Promise to Delay AC Unity - Ubisoft claimed Unity would be delayed if there were problems. Game launched on time with many technical issues.
3. PlayStation 3 to Run Games at 120 FPS - Kutaragi claimed games on PS3 would run at 120 FPS but the system hardly had any that ran at 60.
4. Watch Dogs' Graphics - Ubisoft claimed graphics weren't downgraded but hidden PC files showed the actual graphics settings used in the E3 2012 trailer. The difference was considerable.
5. Peter Molyneux - Almost everything notable he ever said about his Fable franchise.
6. Project Natal - Presented as a breakthrough in modern AI, voice commands, and motion gaming. Turned out to be nothing but a scripted tech demo.
7. Killzone 2 E3 2005 Trailer - Sony claimed the trailer was running in-game assets. After much pressure, a new trailer was made using actual in-game assets.
8. All Xbox One Consoles Are Devkits - Wasn't true at launch and is still not true a year later.
9. Dead Rising 3 is Xbox One Only, Ever - Capcom firmly denied claims of DR3 going anywhere but X1. Even PC. Dead Rising 3 was announced for PC almost 7 months after its X1 release.
10. Aliens: Colonial Marines - The game was nothing like what it was marketed as. Both Sega and Gearbox continued to lie about it until a class action lawsuit took them to court.
11. Dark Souls 2's Graphics - Trailers showing Dark Souls 2 for PS3 and 360 were much better than the actual product. It was a worse downgrade than even Watch Dogs.
12. Xbox One DRM Switch - Major Nelson told Angry Legend the console was designed around the policies and they couldn't just "flip a switch".  Not long after, Microsoft "flipped the switch".
13. Xbox Will Offer Toy Story Graphics - Bill Gates claimed the Xbox would be so powerful that it would produce visuals on par with Toy Story 2. Never came close.
14. Mass Effect 3's Ending - Gamers were told that their decisions during the first Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 would ultimately shape the trilogy's end. Those decisions had virtually no impact.
15. Final Fantasy 13 Screenshot - To stop fanboy arguments, Square Enix posted a screenshot comparison between PS3 and 360 to show they looked the same. Later they admitted both were PS3 images with the control scheme edited.

Rorono

Kutaragi claimed PS3 could output at 120hz, and it did, so it's not a lie. It was used for 3D games mostly.

Legend

7 is false. Killzone 2's reveal video was a target render and non of the actual people involved denied that.

11 is also wrongish. Dark Souls 2 had its lighting engine changed late in game because it was negativly affecting gameplay, or at least that's what I've heard. It's still up in the air.

Most of these are just within the past year and really shouldn't be on the list imo. Yeah they're bad, but the biggest lies ever? No way.

Dr. Pezus

So many XBox ones.

Also I still LOL @the FF13 screenshot comparison

Raven

Yeah I wasn't sure about that 120FPS comment on PS3. I never remember that being said. The Killzone 2 video was defended by Sony but I can't remember what they said about it.

DerNebel

I had completely forgotten about that thing with the X1 being a devkit on its own, people used to make this out to be a huge gamechanger when it was first announced.

Raven

I had completely forgotten about that thing with the X1 being a devkit on its own, people used to make this out to be a huge gamechanger when it was first announced.

Same. I actually laughed out loud when that article reminded me. Oh how many times did I hear that it was going to be a huge deal because it meant devs would have to spend so much less money that more of them would develop X1 games?

BananaKing

eh the killzone video wasnt that bad. some parts of it looked better than KZ2. but some parts of KZ2 looked better as well.

its hard to pick which one is the best, im surprised they didnt put kens "4D" comments in there.

kitler53

#5 is soo perfect.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

BasilZero

15. Final Fantasy 13 Screenshot - To stop fanboy arguments, Square Enix posted a screenshot comparison between PS3 and 360 to show they looked the same. Later they admitted both were PS3 images with the control scheme edited.

Boom.