Sony FY14 Q3 results - 6.4m PS4 shipped, $758m profit

Started by Xevross, Feb 04, 2015, 09:25 AM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

But Vita is awesome!

Not awesome enough to make Sony all of the moneys though :-\

Shinobi-san

Wow almost a billion profit....did not think they would be in this position at this stage.

Are they still forecasting a loss for the year? Or has this quarter off set that loss?
Vizioneck STILL not banned at my workplace \O/

BananaKing

Wow almost a billion profit....did not think they would be in this position at this stage.

Are they still forecasting a loss for the year? Or has this quarter off set that loss?

still forcasting a 1.45 billion dollar loss for the year.

Dr. Pezus

Btw. gaming's operating profit would be almost $100 million higher if it wasn't for a write down cause by the Vita.
What is a write down, exactly?

ethomaz

down

PS. I just writed down right now.

DerNebel

It's what companies do to adjust for the depreciation of their assets.

In this case it's for Vita parts that they probably had lying around and couldn't use to produce Vitas with, because the demand just wasn't there, until they essentially became unusable and thus worthless. (That's my assumption)

Dr. Pezus

darkknightkryta

still forcasting a 1.45 billion dollar loss for the year.

Where are these losses going to come from though?  All their divisions posted profits.  Even the T.V. division...

Dr. Pezus

Where are these losses going to come from though?  All their divisions posted profits.  Even the T.V. division...
Yes, in the best quarter of the year. The other quarters aren't nearly as favorable.

darkknightkryta

Yes, in the best quarter of the year. The other quarters aren't nearly as favorable.

Yes, but I don't see a huge drop in sales to account for over a billion in losses.  Their movie/music sales should generally be consistent throughout the year.  Game division isn't seasonal like Microsoft or Nintendo, so that's consistent all year.  Which leaves phones and electronics to lose money.  Sony would have to be very incompetent to manufacture 1.5 billion dollars worth of electronics in losses.  Like, that'd be even worse than the 9 million Wii U's Nintendo thought Mario 3D Land was gonna sell.

Dr. Pezus

Yes, but I don't see a huge drop in sales to account for over a billion in losses.  Their movie/music sales should generally be consistent throughout the year.  Game division isn't seasonal like Microsoft or Nintendo, so that's consistent all year.  Which leaves phones and electronics to lose money.  Sony would have to be very incompetent to manufacture 1.5 billion dollars worth of electronics in losses.  Like, that'd be even worse than the 9 million Wii U's Nintendo thought Mario 3D Land was gonna sell.
But they've already lost tons of money in Q1-Q2

darkknightkryta

But they've already lost tons of money in Q1-Q2

They're q1-q3 add to profits.

Go Up