Microsoft E3 Press Conference 2017

Started by Xevross, Jun 11, 2017, 05:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

Yeah i fully expect it too, but it would be hilarious if they keep them around similar settings.  Just cause the xbox fanboys would go nuts and I want to see that.   8)
Called it  :D
Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X - NeoGAF

Since the last one got closed.https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-...tor-or-not?amp
I spoke to a developer from Ubisoft working on that game and inquired about the version parity between PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. He told me that Assassin's Creed Origins will be 4K at 30 FPS on both the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, which I found a little confusing. If the PS4 Pro can handle 4K 30, how is Assassin's Creed Origins utilizing the Xbox One X's additional overhead? It isn't, apparently. How is Assassin's Creed Origins utilizing the Xbox One X's additional overhead? It isn't.The developer told me that both versions use dynamic resolution scaling to maintain frame rate stability, so more intense scenes might see the 4K resolution drop below momentarily to keep the game running smoothly. He said that the Xbox One X version's resolution would most likely drop below True 4K far less often, and perhaps not at all when compared to the PS4 Pro, but also that the differences would be "imperceptible to the human eye."

tl;dr AC Origins runs on both consoles at 4K/30 using dynamic resolution scaling. XBX may have less resolution drops but the end result will be imperceptible to the human eye. Supplemental resource:  Digital Foundry's tech breakdown of AC Origins where they confirm the game is using checker board rendering on Xbox X.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oPvbpVGP0

Raven

Get used to this being the norm. Rendering techniques that make it incredibly difficult to tell the difference between native and upscaled are greatly improved compared to where they were at the start of the gen. Microsoft has basically told its potential buyers that it wants $100 more from them compared to Sony's offering for minuscule or even imperceptible differences. By the time the specs of the Xbox One X start showing any real difference in later games, the next gen will be here.

Aura7541

Get used to this being the norm. Rendering techniques that make it incredibly difficult to tell the difference between native and upscaled are greatly improved compared to where they were at the start of the gen. Microsoft has basically told its potential buyers that it wants $100 more from them compared to Sony's offering for minuscule or even imperceptible differences. By the time the specs of the Xbox One X start showing any real difference in later games, the next gen will be here.
And finally we won't get bottlenecked by shaming CPUs.

Raven

And finally we won't get bottlenecked by shaming CPUs.
Unless, of course, they go for another shaming CPU setup. I'm hoping they opt for something a little beefier next time. I know they have to keep costs down but these CPUs they're running right now were a joke from Day 1.

Legend

I started thinking this way back when Killzone multiplayer first used it, but these reconstruction techniques are definitely the future.

Individual pixels are becoming less and less important when most of them are almost identical to their neighbors. Also raymarching and other non rasterization techniques are right on the verge of going mainstream and those rarely render with native res grids. Those games will not be "native" 4k and lots of the methods will help improve checkerboarding like stuff too.

Raven

I started thinking this way back when Killzone multiplayer first used it, but these reconstruction techniques are definitely the future.

Individual pixels are becoming less and less important when most of them are almost identical to their neighbors. Also raymarching and other non rasterization techniques are right on the verge of going mainstream and those rarely render with native res grids. Those games will not be "native" 4k and lots of the methods will help improve checkerboarding like stuff too.
It seems like we're moving towards a time when the power of a console is used for graphical effects and the resolution is, comparatively speaking, an afterthought.

Aura7541

Unless, of course, they go for another shaming CPU setup. I'm hoping they opt for something a little beefier next time. I know they have to keep costs down but these CPUs they're running right now were a joke from Day 1.
Ryzen is already a good improvement over Jaguar and hopefully, the PS5 will use Zen 2 or Zen 3. I really hope that 60fps will be the standard for PS5 games.

Raven

Ryzen is already a good improvement over Jaguar and hopefully, the PS5 will use Zen 2 or Zen 3. I really hope that 60fps will be the standard for PS5 games.
Yeah. I'd like to see next gen be about trying to keep framerate high instead of chasing a resolution that doesn't even need to be native to look amazing these days.

Legend

60 will never be standardized by stronger hardware. Most devs think most games can be better at 30fps. Plus a lot more goes into the feel of a framerate than just fps. Input delay, frame pacing, frame drops, screen tearing, motion blur, changing fps, etc. A good 30fps can feel better than an ok 60fps, not that it's common.

Esports will do far more with pushing 60fps than anything else. Competitive games are the only ones that need high framerates and right now they're making all the money.

Xevross

Called it  :D
Ubisoft: AC Origins To Run at 4K/30 FPS On Both Pro and Xbox X - NeoGAF
tl;dr AC Origins runs on both consoles at 4K/30 using dynamic resolution scaling. XBX may have less resolution drops but the end result will be imperceptible to the human eye. Supplemental resource:  Digital Foundry's tech breakdown of AC Origins where they confirm the game is using checker board rendering on Xbox X.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8oPvbpVGP0

But... Pro is only competing with S and X is way out of its league!

Dr. Pezus

But... Pro is only competing with S and X is way out of its league!
*Looks at eventual 900p S version* ::)

Legend

*Looks at eventual 900p S version* ::)
S will probably be 720p. Isn't that the common res for fancy games on that system?

Dr. Pezus

S will probably be 720p. Isn't that the common res for fancy games on that system?
Hmm true some games have been 900p on PS4 and 720p on XB1

Raven

Spencer: We Have Just Signed Exclusives That Won’t Be Ready for 2-3 Years, No Point i - NeoGAF

Source is WCCFTechhttp://wccftech.com/spencer-signed-exclusives-2-3years/
When I started this job three years ago, hardware was a real focus for us because I thought we had more work to do there. Xbox One S shipped last year, the X is shipping this year, I love our hardware line. Xbox Live was something I wanted to focus, coming on Android, iOS, Windows PC because I really want people to play games on the place they want to go play.
 Our first party is a critical part of that equation. Yesterday, I know people want to see what we’re investing in new.
 We are investing in new things, we signed things just recently that I thought, ‘Hey, from a PR standpoint it would be really easy for me to put a trailer on screen’, but then I know the game is not coming for another two and half or three years, so I didn’t want to do that.
 I understand some people would say, ‘Hey, that would give me confidence in the future of Xbox’…This is a cheesy line, but I’ll just say, trust that this is important to us as a platform. From the top CEO of the company down, if you talked to Satya (Nadella, Microsoft’s CEO) he would say ‘I understand, we need to invest in content in the gaming space’.That is important and we are going to invest. We have Sea of Thieves, Crackdown 3, State of Decay 2, Lucky’s Tale, Ori and the Will of the Wisps…But I know what you’re asking about. Big, triple A console games, I hear that and I’m committed to that. Today I wanted to talk about things that if you’re going to buy the console you will be able to play, but I’ll continue to work to deliver games. We did on hardware, we did on platform and (backward) compatibility and we will do this on first-party as well. It is critically important.

I agree and disagree with Spencer here, sometimes you can make appeal to consumers to make a blind leap of faith ala Phantom Dust/Scalebound and it can end miserably. So you can see how those situations should be avoided and its best to focus on the near future, however if theres one thing that bolsters trust in a brand its showing long-term software support. So whats more important, excitement or accuracy?
 EDIT: Thread title hilariously cut off

In other words, don't expect much of anything from them until at least 2019, possibly 2020.

Legend

EVen still, that's not news without knowing the games.

COuld be super lucky's tale 2 or state of decay 3 type. Maybe fun games, but not an improvement over their current situation.

Go Up