What features do you want to see in games?

Started by Legend, Apr 30, 2017, 05:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'D love to see games start bumping up NPCs in importance once you interact with them.

LIke in basically any open world game, 99% of the NPCs are just filler. Wouldn't it be great if they weren't? Like the Nemesis system but for everyone.

the-pi-guy

Apr 30, 2017, 05:19 PM Last Edit: Apr 30, 2017, 05:25 PM by the-pi-guy
Would like dynamic NPCs.  Pretty much what you are saying.  

But some things to be specific.  

Give characters goals of some sort, greatly expand a revenge system. Make characters age. Make baby characters from their parents.  
Some goals could be good or evil.  Dynamically make new super villains in the game.  

At some point have intelligent unscripted conversations with NPCs.  

Have a fully realized weather system, that affects plant growth.  

Have plants grow in general.  

Also fully distructible that repairs itself.  
Buildings get rebuilt by NPCs, trees start to regrow, grass regrows, holes start to fill in with dirt, as the sand sifts to the bottom.  

BasilZero

More emphasis on New Game+ with additional difficulty

the-pi-guy

Apr 30, 2017, 10:43 PM Last Edit: Apr 30, 2017, 10:55 PM by the-pi-guy
Sound:
Generate audio.  Also perfect voice generation.  Where you could use a slider and maybe a few characteristics to be able to completely adjust how a character sounds.  Could give a custom character a voice without it getting in the way of connecting with the character. 

Expanding on my above.
It'd be cool to have goal oriented characters.  Every character could have a personality, so they tend to do certain things.  And their personality gets matched to a database, where they could have goals. 
Like Jim is evil and strong, so he tries assassinating someone. 
Legend is evil, but very unmotivated.  So he's just a bit impolite. 

I think it'd could be a really cool way to give characters personality, and make the game completely more dynamic. 

The game could be a lot more dynamic. 
Imagine Skyrim, where a guy goes from town to town getting into bar fights; and not one of those things where the devs intended to do it. 
Or imagine a character decides to move to another town.  A character that starts a club.   A character that likes the ladies, and has like 4 kids with different women.  All kinds of weird possibilities. 

Towns is another feature that could be greatly expanded.
Have the economy change the shape of a town.  Have it so that you see other people having to buy things.  People have jobs and money, etc; and all their dynamic choices affect the shape of their town.  Might even have new people move into the town.  Maybe even new businesses, or something.

I like Skyrim, because it's one of those games that's set up to be a big world of possibility. 
But at the same time, so much of that possibility is empty. 
When someone yells "stop don't hurt me", and they start attacking you again.  Why couldn't they just have some sort of probability of them attacking you again, instead of it being a certainty.  Their constant response takes away any meaning from their response. 

Legend

Sound:
Generate audio.  Also perfect voice generation.  Where you could use a slider and maybe a few characteristics to be able to completely adjust how a character sounds.  Could give a custom character a voice without it getting in the way of connecting with the character.  
It floors me that this isn't a thing yet, even in tech demos. Right now our sound is the equivalent to what graphics were with full motion video:

I think as games become more and more procedurally generated, we'll start seeing next gen sound systems.

the-pi-guy

It floors me that this isn't a thing yet, even in tech demos. Right now our sound is the equivalent to what graphics were with full motion video:
Graphics: "We render millions of polygons, and display it every 33.3 ms."
Audio: "What."

Legend

Towns is another feature that could be greatly expanded.
Have the economy change the shape of a town.  Have it so that you see other people having to buy things.  People have jobs and money, etc; and all their dynamic choices affect the shape of their town.  Might even have new people move into the town.  Maybe even new businesses, or something.
That's my long term target with the Forum RPG. Make it a "bite-sized" world.

Basically make it so cities have ~50 citizens instead of thousands and then scale everything up to compensate. All the crazy complex interactions of a real economy and society, but with only a fraction of the active agents involved.