Video games don't look realistic to me anymore

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Dec 06, 2019, 09:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I think it's a combination of working as a game dev and the current generation growing old, but games all of a sudden are starting to feel "last gen" to me. They look aesthetically great and are technically impressive but the deficiencies stick out like sore thumbs.

Take this Death Stranding screenshot. There aren't any obviously repeating textures and there is a fair amount of geometry on screen but it still looks fairly unrealistic. Terrain in the background is obviously lacking in details compared to the forgrand, the river just looks pasted on the land with poor lighting within the water, and there is a general "blurriness" to things even through the image is very crisp.

Death Stranding is potentially the best looking game out there right now and I was extremely impressed with it but this stuff is still noticeable. In other games it is far far worse.

Anyone else feel this way? I imagine a lot of people do since next gen is so close but at the same time I might just be a weirdo analysing graphics too much.