Collecting collectibles in games

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, May 29, 2018, 06:15 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Well BOTW has done it by far better than any other game I've played. Its hard to mention another one honestly. Normally in open world games I don't even bother doing much side stuff like collectables but in BOTW I'm addicted and love just wondering around looking for Koroks.

I still find it hilarious that I didn't even notice a couple of korok types until I'd finished the game and put over 100 hours in. Once I spotted them, I was just like "oh, mother-fudge maker", with a beaming smile on my face.

I don't really get the TLOU criticism, its a linear game with stuff to pick up. If you don't want to play like that, looking at walls all the time... then just don't? Ignore the collectables? Eh, whatever.

Other games, I don't really care about collectables (the kind that do nothing except look nice). If you're including just items you can collect that are useful for crafting and stuff too, add Horizon to the good list!
I just discovered a new Korok from that video. Shooting arrows at the thing.

I enjoyed collecting things in TLOU since it felt realistic (you're hunting for supplies, of course you have to walk around like that) but I bet the second game will improve it. You couldn't fully ignore the collectables since they were needed for crafting.