Video Game Sales Thread

Started by Xevross, Aug 14, 2014, 02:56 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

NPD Jan 2020:

Working off of Zhuge's info of Switch being a single digit % decline YoY, and using 284k Switch from last year, I get:

256k < Switch < 284k
PS4 < 118k
71k < XB1 < 79k

Last year was Switch 284k, PS4 191k, XB1 101k for comparison.

XB1's lowest ever month prior to this was 77k in May 2014, this could be a new low. PS4's previous lowest month was 137k in May 2019, so this is a new record low for PS4 by quite a way. Next gen can't come soon enough for PS and Xbox.

Legend

Do we expect any bumps for ps4/xb1 from upcoming games, or have almost all those potential buyers already bought in?

Dr. Pezus

Do we expect any bumps for ps4/xb1 from upcoming games, or have almost all those potential buyers already bought in?
Tlou2, especially with  corona

BananaKing

I dont expect any important bumps to happen. The consoles are just way to expensive and should have dropped in price long ago. However Sony is still making a killing off of their platform, so I doubt they care much.

Though if they wanted better performance In the first 2 years of PS5 from the Ps4 platform i think they should have dropped the price to get as many late buyers as possible. As those will likely retain the PS4 for a while and buy cross platform games on it.

Xevross

Mar 23, 2020, 12:12 AM Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 12:24 AM by Xevross
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-22-animal-crossing-new-horizons-smashes-sales-records-in-the-uk

UK - Animal Crossing NH has a bigger launch week than every other AC game combined. 2nd biggest Switch launch behind Pokemon SwSh. That makes it in the 130-190k physical range in the UK and no doubt digital % is super high.

In Japan AC had the biggest first week for any Switch title at COMG, much bigger launch than SwSh or Smash. We'll see if that applies to the rest of Japan on Wednesday.

Insane first week sales, judging by this, twitch and social media. This game is absolutely everywhere, I can't wait to see Nintendo's sales PR on this. Wouldn't be surprised to see that this is Nintendo's biggest launch for a Switch game (and would that make it Nintendo's biggest launch ever?).

Xevross

Animal Crossing New Horizons set a new all time record for first week sales in GEO game stores in Japan. Wowee, this launch number is going to be huge.

Cute Pikachu

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-22-animal-crossing-new-horizons-smashes-sales-records-in-the-uk

UK - Animal Crossing NH has a bigger launch week than every other AC game combined. 2nd biggest Switch launch behind Pokemon SwSh. That makes it in the 130-190k physical range in the UK and no doubt digital % is super high.

In Japan AC had the biggest first week for any Switch title at COMG, much bigger launch than SwSh or Smash. We'll see if that applies to the rest of Japan on Wednesday.

Insane first week sales, judging by this, twitch and social media. This game is absolutely everywhere, I can't wait to see Nintendo's sales PR on this. Wouldn't be surprised to see that this is Nintendo's biggest launch for a Switch game (and would that make it Nintendo's biggest launch ever?).
It's possible. It's retail first weekend in Japan alone is projected to be close to 2 million and this is a heavily digital skewed title. May be the biggest oppening of a Nintendo game ever.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Xevross

Mar 24, 2020, 09:39 AM Last Edit: Mar 24, 2020, 09:42 AM by Xevross
Japan sales blog hinting at a 2mil retail opening for Animal Crossing. If that happens, would only need 600k+ digital or a digital ratio bigger than ~25% to have achieved the biggest videogame launch in Japanese history. Here's the top openings ever in Japan:

2,637,285 DS.  Pokémon Black and White
2,504,044 PS1 Final Fantasy VIII
2,343,440 DS.  Dragon Quest IX
2,236,881 PS2 Dragon Quest VIII
2,146,467 PSP Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
2,096,050 3DS Pokémon X and Y
2,034,879 PS1 Final Fantasy VII
1,954,421 PS1 Final Fantasy IX
1,905,107 3DS Pokémon Sun and Moon
1,875,115 3DS Monster Hunter 4
1,862,065 PS1 Dragon Quest VII
1,840,397 PS2 Final Fantasy XII
1,749,737 PS2 Final Fantasy X
1,618,621 DS.  Pokémon Black2 and White2
1,617,949 3DS Monster Hunter 4G
1,586,360 DS.  Pokémon Diamond and Pearl
1,542,104 3DS Monster Hunter X
1,534,593 3DS Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
1,516,532 PS3 Final Fantasy XIII
1,472,914 PS2 Final Fantasy X-2

Lets see where Animal Crossing lands. Top 10 before digital is already insane. With the voucher program, rise of digital and nature of the times I can't see a digital ratio of less than 33% and most of the Japanese sales guys on Era seem to be saying the same. Pokemon had 32% at launch last year for example.

Xevross

NPD for March could be spicy (if only we got the real numbers). In the same 5 weeks of tracking, Switch sold 938k HW in Japan. Could we see a number like that in the US?

Cute Pikachu

NPD for March could be spicy (if only we got the real numbers). In the same 5 weeks of tracking, Switch sold 938k HW in Japan. Could we see a number like that in the US?
I'm predicting not as high but close like 850k which would be ridiculous in March. April the switch will break the 8th gen record.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Xevross

I'm predicting not as high but close like 850k which would be ridiculous in March. April the switch will break the 8th gen record.
I'm predicting 690k, I think Nintendo heavily prioritised Japan for the stock situation. Anything beating PS4's 538k non-holiday month record for this gen is insane though imo. 800k+ would be straight up bananas.

Xevross

FF7 Remake ships 3.5M in 3 days! Very nice!

Dr. Pezus

FF7 Remake ships 3.5M in 3 days! Very nice!
Impressive! How much did ffxv do?

Xevross

Impressive! How much did ffxv do?
5M on launch day, although FFXV was massively overshipped and FF7 is out of stock everywhere so sell-through might be close.

Legend

That's pretty good.

Go Up