Space exploration and rockets general thread

Started by Legend, Jan 07, 2017, 05:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

the-pi-guy

SpaceJac

Guys, I want to talk about the SN11 test. What do you think, will it also explode, or SpaceX has already managed to detect all existing problems, and we'll see a perfect landing of the prototype? What's the chance that it will happen? I had been watching tests since their beginning and can state that engineers are steadily progressing. I hope SN11 will achieve its aim, and we'll remember this day for a long time.

Legend

Guys, I want to talk about the SN11 test. What do you think, will it also explode, or SpaceX has already managed to detect all existing problems, and we'll see a perfect landing of the prototype? What's the chance that it will happen? I had been watching tests since their beginning and can state that engineers are steadily progressing. I hope SN11 will achieve its aim, and we'll remember this day for a long time.
I think sn11 will make it but who knows. Could be like sn9 where it has a new issue beyond fuel pumping.

the-pi-guy

I really wish I knew more about rockets and stuff, especially so I could talk about these things.  

It's very interesting, but it's lower on my priority.

I don't even have time for some of my highest priority stuff.  :'(

Legend

I really wish I knew more about rockets and stuff, especially so I could talk about these things.  

Just play kerbal. 90% of what you need right there.

Legend

One unexpected fun fact.

Solid rockets burn from the inside out, not the bottom to the top. Longer solid rockets produce more thrust but burn for the same amount of time.

Also, solid rockets can change their thrust over time. It all depends on the shape of the inner cavity, but the thrust curve is of course locked in place once manufactured.

Imo they get a lot of unjustified hate. They can't abort which is risky with humans but for cargo they make a lot of sense.

SpaceJac

Oh, I understand you because I often find myself in a similar situation. I wanted to tell you to read more literature, but since you have no time, the best decision is to keep an eye on the industry on this forum, communicate with us and other like-minded people, watch YouTube videos when you go to work, and just have free time.  You've been advised to play Kerbal Space Program, and I also recommend you to do it. This game made me fell in love with space a long time ago:)

Legend

Legend

Legend

May 05, 2021, 10:44 PM Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:46 PM by Legend

Amazing test. Everyone involved should be super proud. Huge moment in history.

Legend

Incredible sense of scale in this video. Also fun seeing employees watching it.

Legend

10th reuse of a single booster for spacex. Incredible.

Legend

SpaceJac

After this flight, Elon hinted at the possibility of relaunching this prototype. And as we see, it will happen soon. SN15 is on the launch pad and is waiting for the final decision. It's necessary to inspect the vehicle and wait for suitable weather conditions to test it again.

Legend

After this flight, Elon hinted at the possibility of relaunching this prototype. And as we see, it will happen soon. SN15 is on the launch pad and is waiting for the final decision. It's necessary to inspect the vehicle and wait for suitable weather conditions to test it again.
I'm even more excited to see the orbital launch pad coming along. SN15 somehow feels small with the thought of a full orbital stack launching in a couple months.

Go Up