Are you happy with this generation so far?

Started by Legend, Jan 02, 2017, 06:52 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I think it took a while to get going but PS4 has become great. MGSV is one of my favorite games of all time while Witcher 3, The Last Guardian, The Witness, and Until Dawn are all great as well.

PS Vita was also amazing for the short time it had. Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Littlebigplanet Vita, Wipeout 2048, Escape Plan, and remote play will always stay as fond memories for me.

Wii U is such a failure but it still has fun software like every Nintendo system. I haven't owned my 3DS long enough to judge it.

BananaKing

its a fun gen so far. but it still needs a lot to match and beat last gen IMO. still, there are ramping up and a lot of great games that i am hyped for are on the way. this gen is lacking in new IP though.

the-pi-guy

Don't have a 3DS or Xbox One.  

I'm happy with the Wii U.  Good amount of good games.  Happier with it than the Wii, for sure. Just needs super Mario RPG 2. ::P

PS4 I am a bit disappointed in. I feel it needs more to match last gen. Still warming up.  

Vita is awesome, even in abandoned form.  Has a lot of great classics and solid games.

Ludicrous Speed

Seems the gen hasn't really gotten going yet. Id hoped wed have seen more advancements in AI, physics, and animations so far but seems publishers are content to throw next gen coats of paint on last gen games.

The consoles are weak, that might be the issue. I am.glad we are getting a mid gen refresh, if nothing else it will make the next round of consoles that much more advanced

Legend

Seems the gen hasn't really gotten going yet. Id hoped wed have seen more advancements in AI, physics, and animations so far but seems publishers are content to throw next gen coats of paint on last gen games.
MGSV felt a bit next gen with persistent base members but I totally feel you there.

The Last Guardian is the first/only game I've played this gen that wasn't possible before. The AI and physics are divisive but man are they impressive when they work. In fact I'm pretty confident TLG and Zelda will help kick off a physics revolution in games. It'll be similar to the explosion in popularity of physically based rendering this gen.

SWORDF1SH

Really happy with this gen although I do agree with ludicrous about things just being a bit prettier instead of advancements in other areas.

But this gen I've bought a lot of games and a lot of indie games (and have been happy with the vast majority). This gen is the first time I've gotten balls deeps with indie games and I've had a lot of great experiences. If I made my top 10 games of this gen so far, I'd dare say that a few indies would make it in.

But overall the AAA games have been great but not groundbreaking and the indie games have been amazing.

kitler53

AAA has been pretty disappointing.  few and far between games.  not that i think it is really reasonable to expect drastically different gameplay experiences or genres any more i do agree that we've seen a lot of games that look nicer but play the same as they did last gen.  i don't think it is soo much the consoles are weak as the bugets are expensive and publishers are too scared to attempt something too different.

indies have been great.  a few teams are really upping their game from small indie to middle teir.  the witness, inside, transistor, talos principle, rocket league, everybody's gone to rapture, no man's sky...    ...some indies have done some very impressive stuff on a tight budget.  

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens