Russia to drop out of International Space Station after 2024

Started by kitler53, Jul 26, 2022, 02:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

can't believe legend hasn't already posted this...   the article was posted 12 minutes ago.
And he calls himself a space fan. *smh*

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br><br>Actually I&#39;m pretty sure he doesn&#39;t call himself that.

Legend

That's what I get for doing yardwork in the morning.

Anyway this seems more definitive than their past comments about dropping out. The US just extended their commitment from 2024 to 2030, so maybe there's a bit of wiggle room though.

From an optimistic point of view it should be possible for NASA to do just fine without Russian support. The ISS started development as Space Station Freedom and I think about 80% of it is American funded. Maybe we could buy Russia's modules, since we already own Zarya. If however we need to separate Russian modules and replace core features, it'd be near impossible to do that in just 2 years. Probably our only hope would be modifying an ISS module already under construction, such as the one from Axiom Space set for a 2024 launch.

The worst case scenario would be abandoning the ISS before a replacement is ready. There has always been at least one human in space for 22 years and it'd be a shame to end that record.

Axiom's space station, Orbital Reef, Starlab, and Northrop Grumman's space station will not be ready till ~2027. In this scenario SpaceX might be our best hope since a modified starship could function as an ISS sized station.

And he calls himself a space fan. *smh*

Spoiler for Hidden:

Actually I'm pretty sure he doesn't call himself that.

Space fanboy, get it right  8)

Legend

Russia tells NASA space station pullout less imminent than indicated earlier | Reuters

NASA and people lower down in Roscosmos don't believe this is true. I hope they are right, but I also hope they are making backup plans just in case.

Legend

Legend