Variety of interviews with Gabe, Valve

Viewing single post

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 26, 2020, 08:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Spoiler for The Matrix:
<br>"We're way closer to The Matrix than people realize," he stated. "It's not going to be 'The Matrix', The Matrix is a movie and it misses all the interesting technical subtleties and just how weird the post-brain-computer interface world is going to be. But it's going to have a huge impact on the kinds of experiences that we can create for people."<br><br>Newell then got specific with that he means. "I think connecting to people's motor cortex and visual cortex is going to be way easier than people expected," he stated. He continued by explaining that some sensations the body controls, like the ability to perceive temperature, are much more complex than "reading and writing somebody's motor cortex."<br><br><br>

Is Valve making Half-Life 3? Gabe Newell hints at the future of single-player games in Edge magazine | GamesRadar+

Spoiler for AI:
<br><br>Newell refers to the OpenAI bots that have been trained to play Dota 2 to such a standard that they can beat almost every Dota-playing human on the planet. "That's actually a surprisingly narrow challenge for artificial intelligence," Newell says. "Beating humans is easier than entertaining humans. But over the next several years - and if you ask me, my little spreadsheet calculation is it's about nine years - we'll have artificial general intelligence that can do anything a smart person can do.<br>

Spoiler for Epic Games:
<br><br>We get a lot more freaked out not by competition, but by people trying to preclude competition,&quot; Newell continues, &quot;If you ask us which is scarier, it&#39;s people falling in love with Apple&#39;s model of controlling everything and having faceless bureaucrats who get to keep your product from entering the market if they don&#39;t want it to, or designing a store in a way that minimises software&#39;s value-add to experience and stuff like that.&quot;<br><br>