What has surprised us about next gen?

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 06, 2021, 04:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sep 06, 2021, 04:24 PM Last Edit: Sep 06, 2021, 07:09 PM by Legend
We are about 10 months into the PS5, XSX, not quite a year. 

This isn't intended to make fun of the posters, to be clear there.  That won't be tolerated. 

But while searching for some other threads, I came across some posts that in retrospect are funny. 

Sony will end PS4 with some awesome games, just like PS3, but they have only a few studios working on next gen. Meanwhile xbox has given up on this gen and Nintendo is back in fashion.
I think Sony has largely learned from their lessons.  They'll be fine .
Sadly it feels like they haven't.

some people were sure that Series S would not end up existing.

My whole thread here is full of ups and downs and surprises:

my thread.

Here's a good surprise! 
Told wifey I would like to get a PS5 this year and she is up for it. 

Issue is, unless things get quite a lot better, it'll be a whil before we can afford it.
Things got so much better!  (Not next gen related though.  ;D )

Legend

*Your links need to be fixed. Some dumb auto formatter in the code screws them up if they are done with quotes.

Great thread idea. Very fun seeing old posts I had forgotten about.

Pandemic affected game dev a lot so the general drought is to be forgiven, but yeah Sony tried to surprise me with big games out the gate. They had TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima right at the end of PS4, but they tried to avoid the launch drought.

Spiderman Miles Morales and Demon's Souls were smart. They are much much smaller games but because they are significant parts of major franchises, they could demand a ton of attention. Returnal and Ratchet and Clank was also well done. If the pandemic didn't happen I'm sure Horizon 2 would have hit 2021 and combined with the moneyhats, yeah PS5 would be off racing faster than PS4.

I did not at all expect Sony to be so aggressive with the PS5 launch. Good on Jim Ryan, bad on me.

Gist of my thread and your thread has been partially true though. PS5 is doing amazing but it's not leaving Xbox in the dust. I still feel like Sony could end the gen in 3rd place if Microsoft's new studios kick out good games fast enough, but currently I feel like Xbox will be too slow with too many duds.

I tend to forget Series S exists lol. I was wrong in thinking it wasn't real, but I kinda feel like I was right for doubting its value. Right now it feels like it is bought because Series X is too hard to find, not too expensive.

the-pi-guy

*Your links need to be fixed. Some dumb auto formatter in the code screws them up if they are done with quotes.
I've noticed that there are two different tags used to embed links, depending on whether you're in WYSIWYG mode or not.  The one is prone to break links but I tend to forget.

Great thread idea. Very fun seeing old posts I had forgotten about.
Probably would have been better at the year mark, but I would probably get busy and forget.

I did not at all expect Sony to be so aggressive with the PS5 launch. Good on Jim Ryan, bad on me.
It's kind of the two fer that I got a kick out of.  

Sony managed to come out swinging with smaller but still high quality titles.  

And MS promised to extend support for the Xbox One.  

Gist of my thread and your thread has been partially true though. PS5 is doing amazing but it's not leaving Xbox in the dust. I still feel like Sony could end the gen in 3rd place if Microsoft's new studios kick out good games fast enough, but currently I feel like Xbox will be too slow with too many duds.
Hard to say right now as neither system can be made quick enough.  

And MS has definitely caught up and then some in first party studios, but as you say everything is going to be coming too slow.