The Youtube Gamer interestometer 2017

Started by Legend, Jun 10, 2017, 02:12 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Kerotan

Gaf has one where they tally up all the views.  Spiderman is leading with 12m I believe.

Xevross

Gaf has one where they tally up all the views.  Spiderman is leading with 12m I believe.
They're keeping track of the top 3 videos for each trailer. Probably a much better system than just picking one, but much more work

Raven

They're keeping track of the top 3 videos for each trailer. Probably a much better system than just picking one, but much more work
Legend is lazy, confirmed.

Legend

You underestimate how much I love over engineering things. The current system I have could easily do exactly what theirs is doing, but that's not what I wanted to do. This thread has always focused on only official uploads. I think including all videos is silly and just something people like because it makes the numbers bigger.

But I think it's safe to say most of you guys disagree with me. Next year I'll probably mix it up and track everything and include dislikes and comment counts.

Xevross

You underestimate how much I love over engineering things. The current system I have could easily do exactly what theirs is doing, but that's not what I wanted to do. This thread has always focused on only official uploads. I think including all videos is silly and just something people like because it makes the numbers bigger.

But I think it's safe to say most of you guys disagree with me. Next year I'll probably mix it up and track everything and include dislikes and comment counts.
How is it silly to do an actual meaningful comparison instead of completely wasting your time? People on youtube don't care if its from an official channel or not, that ones that are up first and gain lots of views are the popular ones. If we're actually making a "youtube gamer interestometer" then you actually want to make a system which measures the interest of youtube gamers.

Mmm_fish_tacos

How is it silly to do an actual meaningful comparison instead of completely wasting your time? People on youtube don't care if its from an official channel or not, that ones that are up first and gain lots of views are the popular ones. If we're actually making a "youtube gamer interestometer" then you actually want to make a system which measures the interest of youtube gamers.
Becaise it eleminates double views from the same person. You could have the system swap out the highest view count of the same video. That might be better.

Xevross

Becaise it eleminates double views from the same person. You could have the system swap out the highest view count of the same video. That might be better.
What? You get double views from one person tracking just one video anyway. In fact, I'd say if people are re-watching a trailer they're more likely to go back to the one they saw before.

Mmm_fish_tacos

What? You get double views from one person tracking just one video anyway. In fact, I'd say if people are re-watching a trailer they're more likely to go back to the one they saw before.
As far as i know. It only counts once. At least once per device.

Xevross

As far as i know. It only counts once. At least once per device.
It only counts one view at once. You can repeat as many times as you like. But if you click replay on the video it doesn't count the view, you have to refresh the page. So if you visit again later it counts as another view

the-pi-guy

If the point is to see how popular a video is on YouTube, then of course I disagree.  Most people don't tend to look for an official channel.  They just search or they are given suggestions.  

Ubisoft was really good about posting their videos as soon as things got announced.  Sony wasn't.  So if you wanted to see the new days gone trailer, you'd have to go to a third party channel to view it.  

Unless you think a certain channels views are being raised by cheatery. (Sony's videos got caught for that themselves.).
I don't really see any reason not to include other sources to get a picture of YouTube views.  

Xev getting fiesty.  :o
Every view gets counted, but what I recall is that YouTube does a ton of checking to determine the view.  
So you watching a video a few times, will more than likely get counted those few times.  
You watching a video once a day for 4 weeks, will get counted 28 times for example.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

It only counts one view at once. You can repeat as many times as you like. But if you click replay on the video it doesn't count the view, you have to refresh the page. So if you visit again later it counts as another view
Ive refreshed some of my videos in the past to check and it doesnt count a second time.

Legend

Because it's not meaningful either way. Tracking all videos on youtube is still far from the complete picture. You yourself talked about facebook videos, and there are tons of other sources that also effectively take away views. It's impossible to get the complete picture and no matter what the numbers are meaningless without context. I personally prefer sticking to official uploads because you have a far better understanding of everything and can tell why a video is doing better or worse than expected.

Kinda rude to call it wasting my time when I set this feature up to help Bwest The Youtube Gamer interestometer and have just been listening to people's desires. Last year the biggest complaint was videos being used as ads, so I started tracking like count for you guys. Now next year I'll add a way to group videos by game so more re-uploads can be added, if I even bother doing the thread at all. I've spent more time writing this post than it took to set up the op  :P

the-pi-guy

Jun 16, 2017, 08:05 PM Last Edit: Jun 16, 2017, 08:13 PM by the-pi-guy
Ive refreshed some of my videos in the past to check and it doesnt count a second time.
That's because YouTube does a lot of checking for views.  I just tested it and added 4 views to a video.  (And it takes a few seconds to update the viewpoint). Also over 300 views they do a lot of checking. Under 300 it's a lot more lenient.  

Because it's not meaningful either way. Tracking all videos on youtube is still far from the complete picture. You yourself talked about facebook videos, and there are tons of other sources that also effectively take away views. It's impossible to get the complete picture and no matter what the numbers are meaningless without context. I personally prefer sticking to official uploads because you have a far better understanding of everything and can tell why a video is doing better or worse than expected.
It really depends on what we are looking for though.  If we are looking to find how many people hear about a game online, that's pretty darn impossible.  

But unless there is some trend like MS being bigger on Facebook and Sony being bigger on YouTube, there is still some sort of trend that we can get from YouTube.  

Look at NPD, they don't have access to every store and an exact count.  But they can gleen a reasonable amount of information from what they have.  There are similar analyses with Twitter and Google search engines that are done. They obviously dont give the full picture, as Bing and Yahoo are also search engines.  

More information is better unless it's biased in some way for some reason, which it absolutely might be.  

Dr. Pezus

If the point is to see how popular a video is on YouTube, then of course I disagree.  Most people don't tend to look for an official channel.  They just search or they are given suggestions.  

Ubisoft was really good about posting their videos as soon as things got announced.  Sony wasn't.  So if you wanted to see the new days gone trailer, you'd have to go to a third party channel to view it.  
Ah, this explains it. Was wondering why Sony vids had such few views compared to last year, and MS more. Other channels posted before the official one in some cases, I guess

the-pi-guy

Ah, this explains it. Was wondering why Sony vids had such few views compared to last year, and MS more. Other channels posted before the official one in some cases, I guess
Yeah.  I was linking the videos to everything shown in the E3 shows I did the threads for.  
Ubi was really good, and the YouTube video was always up within minutes of them announcing on stage.  

I don't recall Sony even having most videos by the time I went to bed.  Instead I posted whoever was one of the first.  

Go Up