Quest 2 has outsold all predecessors combined

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 30, 2021, 01:36 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Five Years of VR: An Oral History from Oculus Rift to Quest 2

The fact that Oculus Quest 2 in just a few months in the market has outsold not just it's predecessor, but all it's predecessors combined, is a tremendous indicator that we are now at that point where we have broken through the early adopter crowd to an increasingly mainstream crowd

Legend

That's incredible. I'm really tempted to buy quest 2, even though I never use VR and dislike facebook.

BananaKing

Do we know how much sales that means?

kitler53

around 2 million ought to allow them to make that statement.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

We don't know for sure.  I don't think any of their headsets have had numbers published.

Kitler's 2 million is probably a reasonable low end.  Seems okay for 5 months of sales. 

kitler53

We don't know for sure.  I don't think any of their headsets have had numbers published.

Kitler's 2 million is probably a reasonable low end.  Seems okay for 5 months of sales.  
dunno.  psvr was quoted as vastly outselling all other VR headsets but we have those numbers at 4.2 million as of march 3rd 2019 so i'll just guess it's ~5 million by now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_VR#:~:text=Sony%20announced%20that%20PlayStation%20VR,sold%2Dthrough%205%20million%20units.

i'll take that as "confirmation" that psvr is not being counted as a "predecessor" because i'm calling BS on quest 2 outselling ps5/series x with the fact they nearly launched on the same date.   so i think they are only counting "PC VR" and that is a low low bar to cross.

they wouldn't be so evasive with the numbers if they could claim 7+ million units sold.  this is some MS level spin imo.

the-pi-guy

i'll take that as "confirmation" that psvr is not being counted as a "predecessor" because i'm calling BS on quest 2 outselling ps5/series x with the fact they nearly launched on the same date.   so i think they are only counting "PC VR" and that is a low low bar to cross.

they wouldn't be so evasive with the numbers if they could claim 7+ million units sold.  this is some MS level spin imo.
Why would they count PSVR as one of it's predecessors?  

It's Rift + Rift S + Quest < Quest 2

kitler53

Why would they count PSVR as one of it's predecessors?  

It's Rift + Rift S + Quest < Quest 2
then i took the statement differently.  

if that's all that "predecessor" includes than i'd like to revise my 2 million statement downward..

the-pi-guy

if that's all that "predecessor" includes than i'd like to revise my 2 million statement downward..
Lol no.  There are some games that have sold over a million on the Quest 2.  

BananaKing

So VR is showing growth. But how is software doing?

I feel VR can survive on Indie and AA games for now. If the games are fun and quality, they dont need massive budget's, the novelty if VR still covers thats up

the-pi-guy

I feel VR can survive on Indie and AA games for now. If the games are fun and quality, they dont need massive budget's, the novelty if VR still covers thats up
Still small but seeing growth: 60+ Oculus Quest Apps Made More Than $1 Million

Facebook Oculus Quest App Reveneu

I think VR will start taking off with a Quest 3 though.  

kitler53

maybe i'll change my tune with a next gen VR headset,...

...but VR can really only be supported by indie level titles.   it is soo difficult to be in VR for an extended period of time without getting motion sick.  an hour tops for me.   i only want to play simple, pick-up-and-play titles.  the idea of an intense story driven AAA game in VR is just not appealing to me.