Will Microsoft ever again release XBOX hardware numbers?

Started by Legend, Oct 23, 2015, 11:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

Will they ever again announce hardware numbers in any capacity?

Go Down

DD_Bwest

we may get milestone announcements,  but if it truely does fall far behind ps4, i could see those going quiet as well.

i see this as essentially throwing in the towel for the console war, atleast to the point where they realize perception of popularity can have a large effect.  It is also yet another step towards xbox as a service over as a console.  

Ludicrous Speed

Xbox as a service would be amazing imho. Can't wait to see what kind of hardware they offer to slap it into and sell at retail.

Aura7541

we may get milestone announcements,  but if it truely does fall far behind ps4, i could see those going quiet as well.

i see this as essentially throwing in the towel for the console war, atleast to the point where they realize perception of popularity can have a large effect.  It is also yet another step towards xbox as a service over as a console.  
At the rate the XBO is selling, I doubt we'll hear any more milestones. Maybe we'll hear a 20 million shipped milestone announcement, but nothing else after that.

Promoting the Xbox brand as a service might be tough as Steam is also available on PC's. I guess Microsoft can try to tie their games only to their own service, but they will have to crank out a lot of games. And not just a lot of games, but a lot of very good games.

Legend

At the rate the XBO is selling, I doubt we'll hear any more milestones. Maybe we'll hear a 20 million shipped milestone announcement, but nothing else after that.

Promoting the Xbox brand as a service might be tough as Steam is also available on PC's. I guess Microsoft can try to tie their games only to their own service, but they will have to crank out a lot of games. And not just a lot of games, but a lot of very good games.
They don't care about competing with steam, they care about competing with Linux.

XBOX games on steam would be windows 10 exclusive and would have native windows/xbox integration.

Aura7541

They don't care about competing with steam, they care about competing with Linux.

XBOX games on steam would be windows 10 exclusive and would have native windows/xbox integration.
Isn't the Linux userbase really tiny compared to Windows, though?

Legend

Isn't the Linux userbase really tiny compared to Windows, though?
Steam Machines all run Linux and for gamers it's a quickly growing platform.

Aura7541

Steam Machines all run Linux and for gamers it's a quickly growing platform.
I'm very skeptical of whether Steam Machines will take off.

Legend

I'm very skeptical of whether Steam Machines will take off.
Ditto, but Microsoft can help make that a reality.

Cute Pikachu

At least Nintendo gives hardware shipments and those are 3 times worse usually then Xbox One's
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Legend

At least Nintendo gives hardware shipments and those are 3 times worse usually then Xbox One's
Nintendo once reported negative Wii U shipments even!

DerNebel

If there's one thing I'll always respect Nintendo for then it's this

Aura7541

Do you guys think 2015 is the XBO's peak year or do you think that it can sell more next year before it drops?

I'm of the opinion that 2015 will be the XBO's best year and then, it will drop off. Nothing can match Halo 5 in terms of hype and recognition, not even Gears 4. This is especially true when the reception of Gears 4's reveal was quite lukewarm compared to previous games. Forza is suffering from a very bad case of franchise fatigue and the XBO's other exclusives aren't that big, except Quantum Break.

Legend

Do you guys think 2015 is the XBO's peak year or do you think that it can sell more next year before it drops?

I'm of the opinion that 2015 will be the XBO's best year and then, it will drop off. Nothing can match Halo 5 in terms of hype and recognition, not even Gears 4. This is especially true when the reception of Gears 4's reveal was quite lukewarm compared to previous games. Forza is suffering from a very bad case of franchise fatigue and the XBO's other exclusives aren't that big, except Quantum Break.
I'm not sure 2015 will beat 2014. Too soon to say imo. Need to wait and see if they go hard with price cuts again.

2016 is so hard to predict. The system has a much better stream of games throughout the year.

I love to make outlandish predictions though, so I'll say 2014 will be the peak year.

Aura7541

I'm not sure 2015 will beat 2014. Too soon to say imo. Need to wait and see if they go hard with price cuts again.

2016 is so hard to predict. The system has a much better stream of games throughout the year.

I love to make outlandish predictions though, so I'll say 2014 will be the peak year.

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting that the XBO had quite a holiday season last year. The XBO may do better next better than this year provided that MS doesn't officially cut the price this holiday season. However, I doubt it will have as good of a holiday season next year.

Kerotan

Exactly, well at least get a yearly update. Plus milestones.

And no Legend, outside of peeps invested in console wars, I don't see anything bad about this. Its.not as if the Xbox One is about to be Dreamcast'd or anything.
It's really bad news for me and you though.  And that's all that matters

Go Up