Will Microsoft ever again release XBOX hardware numbers?

Started by Legend, Oct 23, 2015, 11:15 AM

previous topic - next topic

Will they ever again announce hardware numbers in any capacity?

Go Down

Legend

Pretty straightforward. Will we ever get official numbers again?

*I mean actual quotable numbers, not general statements that infer sales.

Dr. Pezus

Yes, when they are winning

Legend

Yes, when they are winning
They didn't do it when they won April NPD.

Dr. Pezus

They didn't do it when they won April NPD.
I mean when they are ahead in sales, not just for a month and by like 10k

Legend

I mean when they are ahead in sales, not just for a month and by like 10k
So never?

ethomaz

NEVARRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

They are ashamed about their sales.

It is pretty sure they are down compared with last year that means all these talk about Xbox One selling better this year is just spin.

DerNebel

Honestly this whole move pisses me off so much, MS' financials were already borderline useless for someone wanting to see how their Xbox business is doing, thanks to them throwing Xbox in with other products and refusing to give operating profit on a divisional level. But now? Now it's entirely pointless to even look MS stupid financials, let me spoil it for you: The company makes a stupid amount of money, but you will be shame out of luck if you're trying to find out anything worthwile about Xbox. All thanks to them not having the backbone to actually show people how they are doing, while they are out there talking big about having the "biggest lineup in industry history".

Oh great I can now hear how many "active users" Xbox live has, that's really useful information...never mind that this doesn't even make the differentiation between Gold and Silver accounts (which btw. hasn't stopped idiots from misunderstanding this, goal achieved MS, huh?). Why would I want to see something actually useful like shipment numbers or profits, if I can get this shame, right?

But hey, at least Kowenicki is defending it.

Raven

Honestly this whole move pisses me off so much, MS' financials were already borderline useless for someone wanting to see how their Xbox business is doing, thanks to them throwing Xbox in with other products and refusing to give operating profit on a divisional level. But now? Now it's entirely pointless to even look MS stupid financials, let me spoil it for you: The company makes a stupid amount of money, but you will be shame out of luck if you're trying to find out anything worthwile about Xbox. All thanks to them not having the backbone to actually show people how they are doing, while they are out there talking big about having the "biggest lineup in industry history".

Oh great I can now hear how many "active users" Xbox live has, that's really useful information...never mind that this doesn't even make the differentiation between Gold and Silver accounts (which btw. hasn't stopped idiots from misunderstanding this, goal achieved MS, huh?). Why would I want to see something actually useful like shipment numbers or profits, if I can get this shame, right?

Of course he's defending it. Microsoft could throw flaming bags of crud at him and he would rub it all over his body while singing.

Aura7541

I like how Kowen is saying it's all about revenue and profits when Microsoft isn't releasing any numbers regarding the Xbox division other than "active" Live accounts. And while gaming revenue is up, remember that Minecraft is multiplatform.

I also notice how a bunch of people say hardware sales don't matter as long as they have the games. Well, having a large and healthy userbase incentivizes developers to make games for that particular platform. The XBO has not been a good platform for games outside the shooter and sports genres. A lot of Japanese developers don't even bat an eye about the XBO. Way more indie developers are making games for the PS4 and Microsoft's policies aren't friendly. For instance, the XBO version of Shovel Knight originally had a physical release planned, but it got cancelled because of Microsoft's ridiculously high minimum print order requirement. It was also because of this requirement that the XBO version of FF Type-0 sold below its shipment in the US.

Of course he's defending it. Microsoft could throw flaming bags of crud at him and he would rub it all over his body while singing.
LMAO ;D

Ludicrous Speed

Yes, they even said they will still provide numbers in their press release.

Anyone being angry about this just blows my fudgy mind LOL.

Legend

Yes, they even said they will still provide numbers in their press release.

Anyone being angry about this just blows my fudgy mind LOL.
Do you really not understand why this is bad?

Raven

I like how Kowen is saying it's all about revenue and profits when Microsoft isn't releasing any numbers regarding the Xbox division other than "active" Live accounts. And while gaming revenue is up, remember that Minecraft is multiplatform.

I also notice how a bunch of people say hardware sales don't matter as long as they have the games. Well, having a large and healthy userbase incentivizes developers to make games for that particular platform. The XBO has not been a good platform for games outside the shooter and sports genres. A lot of Japanese developers don't even bat an eye about the XBO. Way more indie developers are making games for the PS4 and Microsoft's policies aren't friendly. For instance, the XBO version of Shovel Knight originally had a physical release planned, but it got cancelled because of Microsoft's ridiculously high minimum print order requirement. It was also because of this requirement that the XBO version of FF Type-0 sold below its shipment in the US.
Exactly the argument I made over a year ago to the same deaf ears. The lower your install base the more difficult it becomes to convince third-parties to make games on your platform at all, nevermind preventing the competition from having an easy time buying support.

Kerotan

I predict we will still get numbers at the end of the fiscal year and probably for q4 aswell.  Considering q4 is the only quarter where there numbers are somewhat respectable then you'd expect it.  

Q3 flopped hard though.

Ludicrous Speed

Exactly, well at least get a yearly update. Plus milestones.

And no Legend, outside of peeps invested in console wars, I don't see anything bad about this. Its.not as if the Xbox One is about to be Dreamcast'd or anything.

Legend

Exactly, well at least get a yearly update. Plus milestones.

And no Legend, outside of peeps invested in console wars, I don't see anything bad about this. Its.not as if the Xbox One is about to be Dreamcast'd or anything.
Hiding numbers is annoying, but everyone does that when things are unfavorable.

Bad thing is Microsoft's statements and reasoning behind removing them. They're putting a higher value on short term profit than long term profit.

Go Up