I read a book

Started by Legend, Feb 29, 2024, 07:24 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Feb 29, 2024, 07:24 AM Last Edit: Mar 11, 2024, 04:12 AM by Legend
I read a bunch of non fiction stuff, but I never read regular books. Been over a decade since I even opened one.

So I bought a book for leap day. Will I still have a drive to read it by the time it arrives? ::)

darkknightkryta

I read a bunch of non fiction stuff, but I never read regular books. Been over a decade since I even opened one.

So I bought a book for leap day. Will I still have a drive to read it by the time it arrives? ::)

I still read manga, but an actual novel?  It's been a while.  I think The Count of Monte Cristo was the last book I read... back in 2009.

Legend

I still read manga, but an actual novel?  It's been a while.  I think The Count of Monte Cristo was the last book I read... back in 2009.
Guess you need to read a book too! Mine hasn't had any shipping updates since Saturday so hopefully it wasn't lost.

I don't like comics but I will admit I'm ever so slightly tempted to read Blame!

kitler53

i don't read books at home (much) but i love reading books on a plane.    i have 4 international trips this spring so i suppose i'll get a lot of reading in. 

i tend to like series with a lot of books in them, especially if there is a movie/show that makes me predisposed to care about the characters.   harry potter, lord of the rings, games of thrones are like 17 of the last 20 books i've read.   

i got for xmas (2022) fire and blood and recently started it when i finally finished up the hunger games trilogy. 

i rewatched dune before it left netflix.   it's sooo good.  that might be my next series.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

darkknightkryta

Guess you need to read a book too! Mine hasn't had any shipping updates since Saturday so hopefully it wasn't lost.

I don't like comics but I will admit I'm ever so slightly tempted to read Blame!
I was reading a lot of comics, but then one month's purchase got hit with water damage.  I haven't touched them since.  Even though I've been collecting them still...

nnodley

i have so many books that I want to read that I have. I just can't get around to starting any.  Last couple i've read are Lost in Time by A.G. Riddle and Quantum Radio by A.G. Riddle.  I thought they were really good.  I've got some wheel of time and some stormlight archive i want to start within the next 10 years. lol

Legend

My book arrived. Only a few pages in yet it's already talking about eating colors, nice.

Dr. Pezus

Legend

This book really is crazy. I knew the author created his own alternate universe with a small tweak in the fundamentals of physics, but I didn't expect it to explain all these other things too. Pretty dang cool.

Makes me wish more books were turned into video games. I aint got time to read them all.

I recommend audiobooks!
Don't you have to pay attention to them to enjoy them though? How is that better than reading a book for the same amount of time?

And an audiobook won't work for this book. It has a lot of charts and diagrams to explain stuff.

Dr. Pezus

This book really is crazy. I knew the author created his own alternate universe with a small tweak in the fundamentals of physics, but I didn't expect it to explain all these other things too. Pretty dang cool.

Makes me wish more books were turned into video games. I aint got time to read them all.
Don't you have to pay attention to them to enjoy them though? How is that better than reading a book for the same amount of time?

And an audiobook won't work for this book. It has a lot of charts and diagrams to explain stuff.
Well yeah you can't do anything too intensive while listening but I do it when walking the dog for example. But yeah doesn't work for all books but there are some great audiobooks out there. It's weirdly easier and less tiresome. When reading I often get tired and want to go to sleep lol.

The Sandman is something everyone should listen to in Audible. The production value is insane.

Legend

I watched a bit of sandman on netflix. Same thing?

Dr. Pezus

Mar 10, 2024, 12:55 PM Last Edit: Mar 10, 2024, 12:57 PM by Dr. Pezus
I watched a bit of sandman on netflix. Same thing?
Same source material (Neil Gaiman's graphic novels) yes but very different. It's probably the best audiobook production ever made; they've already done 3 parts and more will come. Each around 10-15 hours iirc.

The most recent part even has Dolby Atmos. All of them have multiple famous actors playing characters and nobody is phoning it in. James McAvoy plays Dream for example and does so brilliantly.

Music and sound is awesome. Neil Gaiman himself is the narrator! The book is basically like a play where you have multiple people playing the parts and not just the narrator reading.

Legend

I did it! I read a book cover to cover.

Was the Clockwork Rocket if anyone cares. I'd recommend it but it was not at all the book I expected. People described it as the hardest of hard sci fi but it was more like a speculative evolution fantasy book. The alien world was cool and gave me a lot of Outer Wilds vibes but I wish it had more consistency. Sometimes it was legit hard sci fi with detailed explanations of thermodynamics and photon dynamics, while other times it felt like simple allegories for stuff on Earth. Also there was an obvious science flaw and a few other things that the science failed to explain so that stopped me from getting too invested on that front.

Will read the sequel eventually. I want to see more of this universe.

Legend

I'm halfway through the sequel. The physics are a lot harder to follow. Prob a bit harder in general, but I also think it's because I only have a "youtube" understanding of these concepts while I had a real understanding of most of the stuff from the first book like 4d geometry.

My understanding of 4d might have spoiled a big reveal that's coming up though.  ::)