Say Anything About The Game You're Currently Playing...

Started by ethomaz, Jun 05, 2014, 03:13 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

Dyson Sphere Program is pretty interesting. Lots of cool ideas but also pretty slow and unfinished feeling (it's in early access)

I'm pretty lost with the tech tree. At this point I'm just selecting whatever and unlocking a whole bunch of stuff that I can't use till later. Like I unlocked a new feature for my dyson sphere, but I need to wait for a much later tech unlock that allows me to actually launch it and use it.

SWORDF1SH

Oct 24, 2022, 10:13 PM Last Edit: Oct 24, 2022, 10:17 PM by SWORDF1SH
Played all 4 on The Room games and each felt unique. The first 2 were more about finding hidden switches and latches on containers (puzzle boxes) while the last 2 evolved into solving whole rooms rather than just boxes. It felt like each game improved with the series although you might be disappointed if you prefer the puzzle boxes but the dollhouse of the final game was the most rounded and most fun imo.

Also playing Gedonia because I felt like playing a simple old school RPG. Played a few hours and it's seems OK. Not played many RPGs so don't know how it compares but it's fun while also buggy.

Legend

Played all 4 on The Room games and each felt unique. The first 2 were more about finding hidden switches and latches on containers (puzzle boxes) while the last 2 evolved into solving whole rooms rather than just boxes. It felt like each game improved with the series although you might be disappointed if you prefer the puzzle boxes but the dollhouse of the final game was the most rounded and most fun imo.

Also playing Gedonia because I felt like playing a simple old school RPG. Played a few hours and it's seems OK. Not played many RPGs so don't know how it compares but it's fun while also buggy.
They've been on my radar. More eye spy than logic based? I kinda figured but was hoping there was more to them.

SWORDF1SH

They've been on my radar. More eye spy than logic based? I kinda figured but was hoping there was more to them.
I would say the first one is more "eye spy" while the following 3 are a mixture of both "eye spy" and logic.

Legend

Played a bit of Somerville. It's cool but the controls are a bit wonky and frustrating. I'll probably play again tomorrow, but I'm seriously considering waiting for a patch. The current setup makes me avoid exploration of any kind.

Legend

I finished Somerville. Not very good but it had cool elements. The player controls were incredibly frustrating and ruin the gameplay. Your character is way too slow, gets stuck on random geometry, and fails to grab things a lot of times. It would have been better imo if there was a run button or if the character moved at a pace that fit the story.

Animation glitches and other bugs also wrecked my sense of immersion. Very hard to care about an emotional moment when people pop from pose to pose or shake violently. Near the end of the game the controller started vibrating and never stopped, even post credits back in the menu.

The story maybe had potential but wasn't executed well imo. The lack of voice acting was extremely distracting at times. There were 2 slow moments in the game that just had friendly "in the know" people stare at you, and there was one moment where a simple line of dialogue from the player character would have avoided a bunch of negative outcomes.

The visuals were pretty good and I liked a couple puzzles. Maybe a 4/10 on my scale. Made me appreciate Inside a lot more. I wish Inside actually had a deeper meaning to uncover, but its surface is very polished.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>The player has a way to instantly kill bad guys if he shines a light on them and uses a power. Later in the game his wife has a flashlight and they are being chased by bad guys. They could have had a carefree day if he told her this or asked for the light.<br>

The frustrating gameplay made me not explore everything. I don't think I fully understood the story so maybe it had some meta commentary and the issues were all on purpose  :P

SWORDF1SH

Just finished playing 'The Painscreek Killings' and absolutely loved it... until the end. The ending isn't bad but also so dumb. So the whole premise of the game is that you freely investigate an abandoned town to find evidence in relation to the murders. Loved doing it and loved the puzzle element to it but towards the end you find evidence that blatantly tell you things that you already cleverly worked out yourself with other little clues. It felt like, what's the point of trying to work things out if the game eventually tells you what went on. It wasn't too bad until the very end. After spending 10+ hours investigating the town and piecing everything together yourself, the game actually shows you who the murderer is
Spoiler for Hidden:
coupled with a corny action scene where you are chased down by the murderer
. The conclusion could of been handled so much better.

The game also has a few twists which were cool but doesn't really work with an Pi sim. Some of the evidence you find is purposefully done to mislead you into thinking a certain direction but because the game spends a lot of time doing this it has to tell you that you were mislead and then go on to tell you exactly what happened instead of you working it out yourself.

The game is brilliant with the investigation part and also really good and slowly unravelling the story and even in 3/4 of the game it's amazing as a detective sim but the fact it just eventually tells you everything at the end, kind of ruins the fun of working it out yourself.

One last thing that probably annoyed me the most, the game was brilliant and creating suspense by using creepy moments sparingly like
Spoiler for Hidden:
the unoriginal but effective &quot;somebody turned off the power&quot; moment and also seeing the ghost of one of the murder victims.
My issue is that
Spoiler for Hidden:
seeing the ghost of a murder victim in the distance was pretty well done because I only noticed it once during the first 99% of the game and it was enough to put me on edge for the rest of the game but they then ruin that with the corny final action scene where the ghost keeps appearing to lead you the way out while the murderer chased you through a sewer system. I just really enjoyed the subtle use of the ghost (maybe appearing a few more times in random locations would of also been cool) and then they blow it at the end. It maybe could of worked but dang, it was implemented not that great.

But it is a great game with good story and good puzzles but annoying if you expect to work things it out yourself.

Legend

Would you recommend I play it? Sounds unfulfilling.

SWORDF1SH

Would you recommend I play it? Sounds unfulfilling.
I would 100% recommend it. The puzzles and story are really good. Investigating is also rewarding to solve the puzzles and discover new locations. My main disappointed was not having to piece together who the murderer was myself although it could of been my reward to get the major clues for discovering deeper into the game. You can leave the game at any moment and use the clues you already got and getting deeper into the game requires a lot of poking around and puzzle solving. Maybe I'm being overcritical because I had just finished the game and was a little annoyed by it and the final action sequence because it's a really good game. In fact I'm looking for a very similar game to it but with no success lol

kitler53

stray time to play: ~5 hours. 

my time to play ~8.5 hours. 

finished it last night.  probably won't go back for trophies,.. the 2 hour speed run sounds miserable to me.  

great game.  I often times complain that Sony doesn't make high quality small games anymore but this is it.  I'd compare it to journey in a lot of ways.  not specific gameplay elements but rather the way it makes me feel. 

highly recommend. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

Oh boy I played Lake for a few minutes since it's leaving gamepass.

It really sucks. I drove my truck into the lake and it reloaded the game.

kitler53

sounds like a gamepass game to me.

Legend

sounds like a gamepass game to me.
Pentiment is exactly what gamepass games should be.

It has a very small target audience and after playing for an hour, it just isn't for me at the moment. However I'm glad it exists since it's genuinely unique. Definitely one of the most realistic and historically accurate games set in the middle ages.

kitler53

Pentiment is exactly what gamepass games should be.

It has a very small target audience and after playing for an hour, it just isn't for me at the moment. However I'm glad it exists since it's genuinely unique. Definitely one of the most realistic and historically accurate games set in the middle ages.
pentiment?   I thought you said "lake".  no idea what that is but it sounds broken. 

pentiment I also don't know much about but I agreee,.. that small passion project game is what I think these services should be focusing on. 

Legend

pentiment?   I thought you said "lake".  no idea what that is but it sounds broken.

pentiment I also don't know much about but I agreee,.. that small passion project game is what I think these services should be focusing on.
I played both Lake and Pentiment. Was adding on to your observation, not disagreeing with it. Sorry for the confusion.

Go Up