So do we expect Sony to show up to Paris or PSX this year with new announcements?

Started by Legend, Aug 13, 2018, 10:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Most of their studios are pretty busy and the rest are probably moving to PS5. So unless you expect PS5 to be announced this year, what games can Sony reveal?

darkknightkryta

If E3 is anything to go by... Not much. I think God of War 2 will be the last ps4 title from them after the ps5 launches.

Dr. Pezus

If E3 is anything to go by... Not much. I think God of War 2 will be the last ps4 title from them after the ps5 launches.
I think GoW2 is probably a PS5 game

darkknightkryta

I think GoW2 is probably a PS5 game
I doubt it, only cause historically, the second main entry is at the tail end of the gen.  Plus Sony likes to leave a parting gift for a console before they move on.    Maybe a "cross gen" title.

BananaKing

I doubt it, only cause historically, the second main entry is at the tail end of the gen.  Plus Sony likes to leave a parting gift for a console before they move on.    Maybe a "cross gen" title.
Yeah but development changed and circumstances change. Releasing GoW5 in 2022 on PS4 is unreasonable. The "parting" gifts are TLoU, Ghost and Death Stranding (which I think will be cross gen)

the-pi-guy

^probably true and disappointing.  
Not ready for this gen to end .

Legend

Yeah but development changed and circumstances change. Releasing GoW5 in 2022 on PS4 is unreasonable. The "parting" gifts are TLoU, Ghost and Death Stranding (which I think will be cross gen)
I still expect Horizon 2 to be current gen. It's been 1 and a half years so the game could be pretty far in development.

Could be their big PSX announcement.

Xevross

^probably true and disappointing.  
Not ready for this gen to end .
Opposite of disappointing for me. New gen is coming and I want Sony's games to be shiny and new. Would be a shame if they were tied down by having to be on PS4.

I still expect Horizon 2 to be current gen. It's been 1 and a half years so the game could be pretty far in development.

Could be their big PSX announcement.
I really hope not, PS5 launch title please.

Kerotan

Hopefully a ps4 Pro slim and ps4 super slim.

Personally I want gow2 and horizon 2 to be ps5 games.

Horizon

Tokyo Game Show pre-event:

Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia will host "PlayStation LineUp Tour", an hour-long live show event that will host videos of the latest PlayStation 4 games, on September 10 at 18:30 JST at Tokyo Midtown, the company announced.
The event itself will be "set in a vast universe that represents the world of PlayStation" that invites viewers to "participate as members of a DualShock 4 spaceship's crew and travel across various planets" as they experience footage of the latest PlayStation 4 games.
PlayStation Plus members and standard Sony Entertainment Network account holders can apply-PlayStation Plus link, standard account link--to be one of 155 users chosen to attend the event. For everyone else, the event will be live streamed.
While not specifically stated, it seems likely that this is a new format for Sony Interactive Entertainment Japan Asia's annual pre-Tokyo Game Show press conference. In 2017 and 2016, it was called "PlayStation Press Conference in Japan." The years before that, it was known as the "SCEJA Press Conference."

Read more at SIEJA PlayStation LineUp Tour video live show set for September 10 - Gematsu

Xevross

I'm not gonna watch the Tokyo show this year, its always a waste of time.

darkknightkryta

Yeah Japan's in a weird place.  Square-Enix is as incompetent as ever.  I'm assuming they're going to show off the Switch version of Dragon Quest (Assuming they didn't abandon it).  Konami is stuck until its president dies.  Capcom's output has slowed down... a lot.  Sony seems to only want one game coming out of Japan at a time now.  Namco has turned into fighters only.  That leaves Atlus and Sega.  Sega is turning around, but they have a lot of work to do since I don't think they're ready to work on new IPs which they desperately need.  Atlus released Persona 5 to much fanfare, and have nothing else but lesser games (They need a next big hit).  Then there's the little guys, which are little :P

Legend

It always is but I always watch!

DerNebel

Aug 26, 2018, 12:11 AM Last Edit: Aug 26, 2018, 11:00 AM by DerNebel
I'll probably watch it, not expecting a lot though.

Outside of getting Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter back to Playstation I've been seriously disappointed with Sonys effort for the japanese market/people who enjoy games more aimed at the japanese market this generation. This is the most profitable this business has ever been and they are just barely putting any of that money back into securing a future market position in their own home territory, which is especially important right now, with Nintendo coming back strong and actually appealing to all those japanese third parties very much.

People keep saying "Oh, Sony doesn't need to do anything for Japan, all those japanese companies will keep making games for future PS consoles anyways". Will they? Will they really? Outside of the two japanese third parties still trying to actively push the technical boundaries with their games (Square Enix, Capcom), will any of these publishers stick around just because, if they are selling just as well if not better on the Switch and can't keep up with AAA budgets anyways? Why not keep their budgets lower and simply stick to the weaker Switch, if it keeps them in business just as well? After all japanese publishers have shown time and again, that they have no problem making games platform exclusive for no good reason. Why for instance is Yokai Watch 4 not coming to PS4 next to the Switch? Technically it should easily be doable, the game should compare reasonably well visually to other japanese PS4 games, should sell reasonably well and their shouldn't be any weird control scheme issues either. So unless there's some backdoor Nintendo deal in place, there is no fudgy reason why this game shouldn't be on PS4 or even Steam and Xbox aside from the Switch and yet here we are.

In a time like this Sony's japanese studios should play leading roles in the building of actual high profile system selling software for the japanese market, just like their western teams do for the western market. Not only because they want to sell their games and systems in Japan, but also because it acts as proof of faith in the japanese market, that would show japanese developers, that Sony still cares about this market and about creating a healthy environment for them to sell their games to. Instead we have Japan Studios being hellbend on making "unique medium sized games", which has resulted in a whole lot of mediocrity and not a lot of sales, Polyphony Digital deciding to try something new, but ending up not only delivering too late once again, but also lacking a whole lot of content, that they are now implementing into the game post release and all of Sony Japans collaborations outside of Bloodborne pretty much falling on their faces.

Making unique experiences is fine, but Sony needs big tentpole titles for the japanese market, that they own and make. Otherwise this idea of the Playstation console being the one system where you can play pretty much anything coming out outside of first party games no matter if it's western or eastern, might no longer be true in a couple years. Expand your existing studios, buy new ones, do something!!

I just want the AAA JRPG market to stop being completely held by fudgy Square Enix for god's sake. -_____________-

Rant over.   

Legend

Wonder what happened to that Sony Japanese RPG that was rumored? Was that Ghost or was the leaker a fake?