Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Legend

the-pi-guy

Unrelated.

Do any of your games have environment destruction/deformation?  

Legend

Unrelated.

Do any of your games have environment destruction/deformation?  
Technically Twisty Puzzle Simulator has environment destruction  ::) One of the castle walls has a crack and can be destroyed with the cannon.

Forged Odyssey is 100% destroyable/deformable. It's a "voxel" game just without the traditional voxels.

the-pi-guy

Forged Odyssey is 100% destroyable/deformable. It's a "voxel" game just without the traditional voxels.
Is there something similar in another game?

Legend

Is there something similar in another game?
I don't even know what I'm doing yet, but I don't think any other game does something similar. Every single thing is built from molecules, but things clump based off structure. Once a thing has clumped, the individual parts can be discarded.

This is best shown with piles of objects. Say a player starts dumping gold coins on the ground. The first few coins can be physical objects but once there are enough to consider it a "collection" of coins, the game internally creates a new node that holds all of them. Individual coins are tracked visually but the game logic just says "the pile has X properties and has Y inside."

the-pi-guy

I see.  

I am itching to work on stuff.  

Voxels or something similar seem like the easiest way to do some stuff that I want to do.

the-pi-guy

I'll be getting back into game development as soon as I can get a new desktop.  
I do have more usage over my laptop, but i'll be getting a desktop soon ish hopefully, which will be better.  

There has been one technical challenge that has been on my mind for my language game.  
How do I associate a word with another word?  That's not straightforward. Does read associate with 読む or does it associate with 読みました?  

I think the easy solution is to encode it somehow like (read, 読む)  but that's still an enormous pain.  How do I automate that better?

Long story short, I'm working on a text editor that would be able to give specialized suggestions.

the-pi-guy

It's kind of fun when you read on stack overflow on how something can't be done and then you figure out a way to do it.

Legend

I genuinely hate Unity some times.

With Forged Odyssey I used a shader to render meshes as flat uv images. It's a great trick to convert objects back into textures. Well with Hapax I'm using Unity's new HDRP and while I love a lot about it, I'm at its mercy.

I tried replicating this but nope. HDRP doesn't support shader replacement and the function works as a regular render without any errors.

So I switch over and manually set it up. This is only for development so it can be slow and messy.

But then I run into another issue. Unity can't render negative values into textures. It's supposed to. Everything online says it does, but it seems HDRP is breaking that too.

So I just set the system to translate the floating point value to keep all of them positive. But this doesn't work because I then discover there is still something active messing with my colors after they are rendered.

I say screw it. I don't care to tear apart the unity hdrp right now. I'll just convert the float to 1s and 0s and send the data over 32 frames per color! By this point I have gone fully mad of course.

I ended up just using a command buffer. HDRP does whatever HDRP does and then I just render a second time after it finishes. Negative floats work fine.

Legend

I connected to NASA servers through ftp today, that was fun.

I've been doing way too much research into stars. Gaia is great!

the-pi-guy

Aug 28, 2021, 03:51 AM Last Edit: Aug 28, 2021, 03:53 AM by the-pi-guy
Crazy idea that I don't know if I will do it. 

My work is primarily focused on web apps (vue) and a sql database.

Kind of tempted to make something at home like a few localhost webpages.   

Legend

Crazy idea that I don't know if I will do it.  

My work is primarily focused on web apps (vue) and a sql database.

Kind of tempted to make something at home like a few localhost webpages.  

Don't know what you want to do with it, but do it!

the-pi-guy

Don't know what you want to do with it, but do it!
Short term: turn that games form into a better intranet web page.

Long term I don't even know for sure.  

the-pi-guy

I successfully have a local SQL server and a local webpage that gets data from it.  

So that's cool.

Go Up