Knowledge based games

Started by Legend, Mar 11, 2023, 06:16 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I really like these games, but it's kinda funny how most of the time they function identically to regular progression. "Oh you want to do this but can't? Go to this specific area and gain the required item/knowledge."

I'm seemingly in the minority but it's why I disliked the computer in the outer wilds. As the player an event might be mysterious with a million possible meanings, but the computer log tells you directly what you were supposed to have learned. Even in this video the person shows an example of the computer providing them with new information.

I think The Witness has the highest high point of all knowledge based games. There's one specific revelation that it just knocks out of the park.

BananaKing

Legend

Don't Starve
Yeah kinda, but don't you still need all the items and luck?

Or is it easy once you know what you're doing?

the-pi-guy

I feel like knowledge based games are fun in theory and in a first playthrough.

But I feel like they're the worst things to come back to after a long time.

Legend

I feel like knowledge based games are fun in theory and in a first playthrough.

But I feel like they're the worst things to come back to after a long time.
I don't even know how you could replay Her Story or Immortality. You can set a different goal like trying to unlock all the videos, but it's impossible to replicate that initial investigation.

Legend

Most games work with "locks" and "keys." The real potential of knowledge based games is that their keys can be hidden/incorperated within the game itself in a very freeform way. Like how return of the obra dinn has tons of keys/clues that just feel like a part of the world.