Do you like "victory laps" as the last level in a game, or do you prefer final bosses?

Started by Legend, Feb 27, 2023, 10:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I think Journey's ending is the most well known example of a victory lap level. You're still platforming and playing the game, but all the struggle is gone.

I definitely prefer them since I don't care for hard games, but nothing is worse than a victory lap that you get stuck on. When I played Rain World the other day I was absolutely loving the victory lap ending, and then I got stuck and had to google my way out of it.

Spoiler for Rain World ending spoilers:
<br>You dive into a trippy gold pool and have to keep swimming down. It&#39;s linear so you can&#39;t do anything else.<br><br>Except eventually the background becomes black so you can&#39;t tell if you&#39;re making progress, and then you&#39;re given the freedom to swim any direction. I just kept swimming down for about 15 minutes, when I was actually supposed to only keep swimming for 5 minutes and then go a different direction. Sucked all fun out of the ending lol since I had already turned my brain off.<br>

BananaKing

Really depends on the game, story and pacing. But I think both are good. You want a final boss as a a climax to the game. But the victory lap is a nice way to end the story on a nice note and wrap up all the lose ends in the story and give closer.

Again, it really depends. I also like prologues, but don't make them too long. The one in RDR2 for example was waaaaaayyyy too long

Legend

Really depends on the game, story and pacing. But I think both are good. You want a final boss as a a climax to the game. But the victory lap is a nice way to end the story on a nice note and wrap up all the lose ends in the story and give closer.

Again, it really depends. I also like prologues, but don't make them too long. The one in RDR2 for example was waaaaaayyyy too long
I hate prologues except for tlou and mgsv. Just let me play the game!

Do you have any final bosses/victory laps you really liked?

BananaKing

Mar 01, 2023, 01:18 AM Last Edit: Mar 01, 2023, 01:21 AM by BananaKing
I hate prologues except for tlou and mgsv. Just let me play the game!

Do you have any final bosses/victory laps you really liked?
The best final boses for me have probably been in the GoW games. Aries, zues and zues again in GoW1/2/3. You fight zues like 3 times in the trilogy which I really like, it added to how strong he is and how to you need to overcome his power. The final boss in GoW 2018 was also good. I havent played ragnorak yet so please no spoilers

The final boss in spiderman 2018 was also dope. Really enjoyed that one.

For some reason I think the best boss fights aren't the final ones.

Poseidon from GoW3 is my all time favourite. But there are other great ones..the stranger (First boss fight) in gow 2018. Father Gascoigne,  ludwig and lady Maria from Bloodborne and the DLC. Honestly, the witcher 3 is filled with awesome boss fights too.