Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

YouTube's auto captions seem to work pretty good for English.

But Japanese songs, it often has no clue.  Two songs I've been listening to have been misidentified as Spanish and Italian.  

the-pi-guy

I've resumed learning japanese.

Ohaio
Still learning?

Legend

Still learning?
Nopa.

Work has been way too technically draining so for now I can't also be dealing with language learning. Once I get out of the engine development side of things I hope to resume.

the-pi-guy

Nopa.

Work has been way too technically draining so for now I can't also be dealing with language learning. Once I get out of the engine development side of things I hope to resume.
I'm worried if I'll be able to balance the two, once my project is done.

the-pi-guy

The way that I've been studying Japanese has been ridiculously inefficient.
Both in time and paper.  

Anki and Memrise are paper free and are supposed to be incredibly time efficient.  But I have a lot of trouble sticking with either.  Like I would keep up with it for a month, and then I had a bad day and didn't go back to it for a few months and at that point I really felt like I was starting over.  

Writing my notes on paper though, it feels like I'm actually making progress and I've been able to keep it up for several months.

But it's a huge amount of paper and it takes a couple days before I am noticeably getting better at word recall.  

So I am trying something different.  Making paper flashcards.  

Took this list of 7200 words with two translations each that someone wrote up, added a few extra things.  Spent a few hours working on excel tricks to automate part of this.  

And mostly automated those 7200 vocab words into 2300 cards, where each card is organized by character.  So each card has between 0 and 7 words.

Legend

Duolingo sucks.

I'm getting back in to Japanese. Duolingo added hearts that function as mobile microtrash timers. Make mistakes and you either need to wait or buy hearts.

the-pi-guy

I'm currently in the process of setting up a discord server for general language learning.

I don't know what to do with it exactly, just had a fun "by the seat of my pants" moment.

Legend

I'm currently in the process of setting up a discord server for general language learning.

I don't know what to do with it exactly, just had a fun "by the seat of my pants" moment.
Anything ready to go?

I think I'm finally done fudging around and making major changes to my conlang grammar. Now I need to become as fluent as possible.

the-pi-guy

Anything ready to go?
It's set up, and has channels and everything.  Invitation Link

It feels kind of dumb though.  

Legend

It's very hard returning to my language after a prolonged absence. It really goes to show just how helpful good documentation is.

Over the next few weeks I'll be trying to write all the in game text that is in my language. Hopefully I can become somewhat decent or else it's going to be a massive pain. The unique grammar can make translation pretty challenging but I at least know I can enter a flow state for certain concepts.

Long term I really want to be fluent. It'd help me feel like I really really created my own language, and I'm interested in seeing how it "feels." What is thinking like in a language that lacks a spoken form? Are some of my grammatical structures too alien for the subconscious to understand?

the-pi-guy

Sometimes I think it'd be fun to make a story in japanese.

But I feel like Itd be a lot of work for few results.

Legend

Sometimes I think it'd be fun to make a story in japanese.

But I feel like Itd be a lot of work for few results.
Do you ever play games in Japanese?

the-pi-guy

Do you ever play games in Japanese?
I've tried playing Skyrim.
But it's still incredibly difficult.

kitler53

Sep 05, 2021, 02:45 AM Last Edit: Sep 05, 2021, 02:47 AM by kitler53
so I googled hapax for some reason.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

I've tried playing Skyrim.
But it's still incredibly difficult.
Guess you shouldn't write a book about adventuring then haha.

so I googled hapax for some reason.

Yeah it's not a made up word lol.

Go Up