Why is Sony Not Aggressively Pursuing Acquisitions?

Started by kitler53, Jan 22, 2021, 03:47 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

The rest of the industry is.  If sony doesn't get their act together and start expanding their first party studios they are going to be doomed.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

For real though. 

The industry is in a weird place, where it feels like things are getting more aggressive, and there's an immense amount of chatter that it's going to be getting much much worse. But we aren't there yet. In the meantime we are in a limbo of are things going to change or stay the same?

BananaKing

Because panic buys are stupid. Their successful acquisitions have been made with a strategic plan set in place and that plan working out. They work with the devs, and if that relationship works then they buy them.

Sony is making a lot of money from their platform and games. In fact they are making the most money out of anyone in the industry. They arent panic buying because they don't need too. They just bought insomniac. Seems like housemarque and bluepoint are next, if they have successes on their hand. And this strategy works. Its worked in the past.

MS's strategy of buying developers left and right has yet to prove successful. In fact their output is in a dire dire state right now. Buying a lot of these studios that were struggling financially hasn't proven to be a success yet. Outside of Bethesda their first party still doesn't look strong. Of course the Bethesda purchases is a big big deal, but not a big deal enough for Sony to change their strategy.

Of course sony should keep an eye out on purchases that could make a massive difference. Rockstar games, EA, and ubisoft. I doubt anyone can afford Activision 

kitler53

Because panic buys are stupid. Their successful acquisitions have been made with a strategic plan set in place and that plan working out. They work with the devs, and if that relationship works then they buy them.

Sony is making a lot of money from their platform and games. In fact they are making the most money out of anyone in the industry. They arent panic buying because they don't need too. They just bought insomniac. Seems like housemarque and bluepoint are next, if they have successes on their hand. And this strategy works. Its worked in the past.

MS's strategy of buying developers left and right has yet to prove successful. In fact their output is in a dire dire state right now. Buying a lot of these studios that were struggling financially hasn't proven to be a success yet. Outside of Bethesda their first party still doesn't look strong. Of course the Bethesda purchases is a big big deal, but not a big deal enough for Sony to change their strategy.

Of course sony should keep an eye out on purchases that could make a massive difference. Rockstar games, EA, and ubisoft. I doubt anyone can afford Activision  
i think the acquisition of bethesda does put sony's business at risk though.  that is soo many franchises and studios that now don't put games on PlayStation.   sony's output right now is great but not great enough to be a "nintendo" where people are going to buy the system even if 0 third party games are on the system.  and with MS openly saying they intend to buy more studios i seriously think sony needs to prepare for a future where 1st party games are the only thing they can count on.

bluepoint and housemarq need to be acquired now.   i don't know what else makes sense but these studios will quite seriously be making MS exclusives in a few years if sony doesn't act soon.

Legend

I really can't think of good people for Sony to buy.

Bluepoint and House Marquee don't make sense unless Sony is desperate. Sony would have bought the studios during development like they did with Insomniac, instead of waiting for them to release hits that increase their price. More likely they just have first say on publishing their next games.

Kojima Productions seems to want to be independent.

Everyone else makes too many xbox games.

kitler53

Bluepoint and House Marquee don't make sense unless Sony is desperate. Sony would have bought the studios during development like they did with Insomniac, instead of waiting for them to release hits that increase their price. More likely they just have first say on publishing their next games.

i thought they bought them after not before.  man,.. insomniac was such a steal of a studio.  

bluepoint and housemarq absolutely make sense.  so does quantic dream and sumo and tarsier and bungie and activision and take two and anyone else they can afford. 

probably not kojima.  i don't think the studio is established enough to survive the departure of kojima himself.  that's a pretty big risk. 

the-pi-guy

They bought Insomniac in 2019, well after Spiderman was launched.

Legend

They bought Insomniac in 2019, well after Spiderman was launched.
Or well before Miles and Ratchet for PS5.

the-pi-guy

Or well before Miles and Ratchet for PS5.
By the same argument Sony is buying Bluepoint after Demon's Souls, well before their Bloodborne, MGS remasters.  Or something.

Legend

By the same argument Sony is buying Bluepoint after Demon's Souls, well before their Bloodborne, MGS remasters.  Or something.
Let's see if Sony buys Bluepoint right around September.