Call of the Sea was ok-full review no spoilers

Started by Legend, Jan 20, 2021, 05:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I went in blind outside of the reveal trailer.

Liked it a lot in the early game but it just kept getting worse. Cool moments did not land.

Puzzles were kinda funky too. The first half had very linear puzzles but they would require a bunch of steps. Like X gives you a code, Y gives a transformation of that code, and Z transforms that transformation into the final code. It is all just linear but because there is no feedback till the very end, it is less trivial.

Second half had puzzles that were just kinda random. They were hard because they had a lot of backtracking and made no sense, or they didn't feel like puzzles at all. The very last puzzle however was pretty good.

The game fills in notes as you play. For the story this felt kinda pointless. The player character talks a lot so you always know what she thinks anyway. The notes for puzzles were nice. They kept me on the right track.

The story was my biggest letdown. First off the player character is from Englewood Colorado. This is a real city that is just a few minutes from my house. She pronounced it wrong multiple times lol. It also led me down a flawed understanding of one part of the story because of Colorado's history.

The main part of the story was obvious within the first few minutes. I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a twist. I liked the ending.

6-7 out of 10

Spoiler for end game:
<br>I think the game expected me to want to be a fish. Like just throw away my life and swim forever.<br><br>Nah I&#39;m good.<br>

kitler53

Jan 20, 2021, 05:56 PM Last Edit: Jan 20, 2021, 05:58 PM by kitler53
lol, so your typical puzzle game then?

the art looks good for a puzzle game.  just listened to a review and am laughing at him spinning that because there is a story here it is a good thing none of the puzzels were challenging because it didn't disrupt the story.    ...then says the story kind of sucks.

he said play time was 4-6 hours.   too short to be a great puzzle game.

i'd play it if it were on playstation.   as it is not i don't feel upset that i cannot play it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

lol, so your typical puzzle game then?

the art looks good for a puzzle game.  just listened to a review and am laughing at him spinning that because there is a story here it is a good thing none of the puzzels were challenging because it didn't disrupt the story.    ...then says the story kind of sucks.

he said play time was 4-6 hours.   too short to be a great puzzle game.

i'd play it if it were on playstation.   as it is not i don't feel upset that i cannot play it.
The puzzles felt more Uncharted like than other puzzle games. It was that awkward mix of trying to ground the puzzle in the world yet having a synthetic solution.

A late puzzle really irked me because it built up a lot of lore about a door only for the "key" to be baby level pattern recognition. It was immediately followed with a game of Simon Says.

Writing was good at least. I connected with the player character up till the story started going in a different direction.

kitler53

The puzzles felt more Uncharted like than other puzzle games. It was that awkward mix of trying to ground the puzzle in the world yet having a synthetic solution.

A late puzzle really irked me because it built up a lot of lore about a door only for the "key" to be baby level pattern recognition. It was immediately followed with a game of Simon Says.

Writing was good at least. I connected with the player character up till the story started going in a different direction.
oi

I like the puzzles in uncharted only because it breaks up the action, story, and platforming.  it's a key element of giving the game balance and pacing. 

...but an entire game if just uncharted like puzzles?!  sounds horrible. 

Legend

oi

I like the puzzles in uncharted only because it breaks up the action, story, and platforming.  it's a key element of giving the game balance and pacing.

...but an entire game if just uncharted like puzzles?!  sounds horrible.

Not horrible, just a 6-7 out of 10. Perfect for gamepass /s

kitler53

Not horrible, just a 6-7 out of 10. Perfect for gamepass /s
I have too many games to play.  I don't have time to waste on a gamepass game. \s