PS5 will be greener than PS4

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 23, 2019, 02:04 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sony Interactive Entertainment boss Jim Ryan said the PS5's suspend gameplay feature will consume less power than the PS4's suspend gameplay.

Ryan said Sony estimates the PS5 suspend gameplay can be achieved at around 0.5 W.

"If just one million users enable this feature, it would save equivalent to the average electricity use of 1000 US homes," Ryan said.

Elsewhere, Ryan said Sony will investigate potential PS VR applications that can raise awareness of climate issues and climate experts.

PS5 won't waste as much energy as PS4, Sony says • Eurogamer.net

Legend

kitler53

okay, great,... ps5 won't waste as much energy while the system is "off".   now how much extra energy will I be using when i'm powering my 4k resolution / ray tracing / ect during gameplay?  i'll bet it'll be more enough to offset this advantage.  

game consoles are among the worst offenders of household energy consumption.  to me this effort to market them as "green" is a disingenuous as the oil and gas industry pitching an oil pipeline as being "efficient transport" of the 50% increase in oil production...

...whatever, i hope i'm wrong on the ps5 is just amazingly efficient.  but i doubt it.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens